Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
10707909

I have a family member who is being released from prison in

I have a family member who is being released from prison in Ohio. They will be listed as a Tier 2 Sex Offender and has a 5 year parole period. The issue we are having is relating to housing. Because of the Tier 2 restrictions they are unable to live with family because of the proximity to school zones. Because they are unable to secure housing before their release they are being forced to stay in a half-way home with a mandatory 3-month treatment program. There are NO treatment guidelines per their judgement. To simplify my question, is this legal? Can you be forced into a treatment program because you cannot secure housing?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

Hello

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to discussing this and providing you information in this regard

The answer is yes. And here is why the Parole Board has full discretion in determining what the terms and conditions of the Parole will be as being on Parole is not a commutation of a sentence but only the Privilege of living in the community. Parole is not a right and therefore, the Parole Board may determine what the terms of the release are.

If those terms and conditions are not met, then the offender may be revoked the Privilege of the release on Parole.

You may access this link for more information on this

I hope that this information is helpful. If you need further information, please just send me a reply asking for clarification. After that, I hope you will enter a positive rating so that I will be credited for assisting you. Thanks again for using this service. Your business is appreciated.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is it common that the Parole board has basically given the ultimatum of half-way home and treatment OR live on your own and you wont't need to attend treatment. Seems a little backwards, no?

Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.
Hello

Generally, if they say that the offender can live on thier own Treatment is always then something the PO will tell them they have to do.

The offender is going to have treatment one way or the other, you see?

So it seems that since the offender has to live in a half way house, the treatment is now inclusive.
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience: Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.