Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

How long are polygraph results for employment applications

How long are polygraph results for employment applications kept on file at police departments
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

Was this for a position with the police department?

If not, then what state/federal agency/entity was the position in?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I applied for a position with the Richmond Police Department. I am trying to decide if I will apply again with the same or another department. They always say no drug use in the past 12 months. I experimented when I was under 18 over 27 years ago. Not sure if I am required to answer questions about anything when I was a minor but the examiner always ask.

(did you receive my first reply?)

Thank you for your explanation, R.

I did not receive your first reply - I only received this below:

I applied for a position with the Richmond Police Department. I am trying to decide if I will apply again with the same or another department. They always say no drug use in the past 12 months. I experimented when I was under 18 over 27 years ago. Not sure if I am required to answer questions about anything when I was a minor but the examiner always ask. (did you receive my first reply?)

On this website, I do not always get to give good news, and I am afraid that this is one of these times. The police have no 'statute' on how long they have to keep records. Presumably, they keep them indefinitely.

One can clarify by simply calling and asking. It is not as though they would immediately put your file into the 'spotlight' if this is done.

Alternatively, one can do a FREEDOM of INFORMATION Request under § 2.2-3700 et seq. of the Code of Virginia, which guarantees record access with few caveats. Now, employee records are often restricted, but if one makes clear that one is requesting ONE's one record, this may be allowed. See here. The police fall under this.

For a letter generator for the FOIA request, see here.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Good luck.

Please note: I aim to give you genuine information and not necessarily to tell you only what you wish to hear. Please, rate me on the quality of my information and do not punish me for my honesty. I understand that hearing things less than optimal is not easy, and I empathize.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your assistance. I will follow through with your advice.

You are very welcome. Good luck, and please don't forget to rate my answer in one of top three faces and then SUBMIT – it is the only way I get credit for my time with you – or, please REPLY to keep on chatting – I want you to be satisfied.