Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor
26296561

Someone has been using my pictures on instagram. This person

Someone has been using my pictures on instagram. This person is using a different name than mine and I've reported the account but it still doesn't get deleted. I live in Ohio and I'm fairly certain that this person lives in Ohio. Is there anything the police can do about this? I'm pretty sure it hasn't gone any further than just using my picture on Instagram but I still would like to know my options.

Alex J. Esq. :

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to help you.

Alex J. Esq. :

Are you online with me?

Alex J. Esq. :

Welcome to JustAnswer.com

Customer:

Yes

Alex J. Esq. :

I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

Alex J. Esq. :

How did this person obtain your photo?

Customer:

I have an instagram account and it is not set to private.

Customer:

This person has also chatted with a few people, and they communicated thru texting. I have this persons phone number. When I call them, they do not answer.

Alex J. Esq. :

Unfortunately, if someone simply using your photo, which is readily available on internet, such photo would become public domain and unless this person is also using your name and your other unique personally identifiable information, unfortunately there would be nothing that can be legally done about it.

Alex J. Esq. :

This is a common risk that many of us run, when we post our photos on the internet, unfortunately there is no way to legally prevent other people from using them and claim for the photos to be theirs.

Customer:

They are using my first name but however they did change their last name. I didn't know if it could be fraud or anything along that nature. I've googled this and they said mainly if they are using my information to gain money or to drag my name thru the mud which I dont believe they have done either.

Alex J. Esq. :

Correct.

Alex J. Esq. :

Police or FBI would not get involved, unless there is some type of criminal activity associated with the person who is using your photo.

Customer:

So as long as my instagram is public then nothing can be done about it? What if I made my instagram private and they still somehow got my pictures? Would that be stalking?

Alex J. Esq. :

No.

Alex J. Esq. :

It would not be stalking.

Alex J. Esq. :

Anything that is posted on the internet, especially on the public media / social websites is never considered private or confidential.

Customer:

Thank you. May not be the answers that I want to hear but I'm glad I didn't waste my time with the police.