Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience

How long does State of Indiana have to file for or notify of

How long does State of Indiana have to file for or notify of there intent to forfeit a vehicle? And can they forfeit a vehicle if no charges are pending with the state?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

You can see IN code requires they seek forfeiture within 30 days of getting notice from someone who claims ownership or 180 days from seizure.

See: IC 34-24-2-4
Seizure of property subject to forfeiture; requisites; custody; limitation of actions
Sec. 4. (a) Property subject to forfeiture under this chapter shall be seized by a law enforcement officer upon court order. Seizure may

be made without a court order only if:
(1) the seizure is incident to a lawful arrest or search, or to an inspection under an administrative inspection warrant; or
(2) the property subject to seizure has been the subject of a prior judgment in favor of the state in a forfeiture proceeding under this chapter (or IC 34-4-30.5 before its repeal).
(b) When property is seized under subsection (a), pending forfeiture and final disposition, the law enforcement officer making the seizure may:
(1) place the property under seal;
(2) remove the property to a place designated by the court; or
(3) require another agency authorized by law to take custody of the property and remove it to an appropriate location.
(c) Property seized under subsection (a) (or IC 34-4-30.5-4(a) before its repeal) is not subject to replevin, but is considered to be in the custody of the law enforcement officer making the seizure, subject only to order of the court. However, if a seizure of property is made in accordance with subsection (a), the prosecuting attorney or the inspector general shall bring an action for forfeiture under section 2 of this chapter within:
(1) thirty (30) days after receiving notice from any person claiming a right, title, or interest in the property; or
(2) one hundred eighty (180) days after the property is seized;
whichever occurs first.
(d) If an action under subsection (c) is not filed within thirty (30) days after receiving notice from any person claiming a right, title, or interest in the property, the claimant:
(1) is entitled to file a complaint seeking:
(A) replevin;
(B) foreclosure; or
(C) other appropriate remedy; and
(2) shall immediately obtain a hearing on the complaint as provided in subsection (f).
If an action is not filed within one hundred eighty (180) days after the date of the seizure, and the property has not been previously released to an innocent person under section 5 of this chapter (or IC 34-4-30.5-4.5 before its repeal), the law enforcement agency whose officer made the seizure shall return the property to its owner.
(e) If property is seized under subsection (a) (or IC 34-4-30.5-4(a) before its repeal) and the property is a vehicle or real property, the prosecuting attorney or the inspector general shall serve, within thirty (30) days after the date the property is seized and as provided by the Indiana Rules of Trial Procedure, notice of seizure upon each person whose right, title, or interest is of record in the bureau of motor vehicles, in the county recorder's office, or other office authorized to receive or record vehicle or real property ownership interests.
(f) The person whose right, title, or interest is of record may at any time file a complaint seeking:
(1) replevin;
(2) foreclosure; or

(3) another appropriate remedy;
to which the state may answer in forfeiture within the appropriate statutory period. The court shall promptly set the matter for a hearing, and in the case of replevin or foreclosure, the court shall set the hearing as provided by the applicable statutory provisions
.

The above statute also tells you that you can proceed to court to get a hearing for release and that is what you need to have your attorney do next.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as http://www.martindale.com or http://www.lexmundi.com or http://www.hg.org to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience: Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience