Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

my girlfriend has a 17 yr old we live together, but her daughter

my girlfriend has a 17 yr old we live together, but her daughter stays at her boyfriends apartment. he's 18. is she a resident of his household. she is not on his lease. am i still compelled to legally required to let her back in my house any time she gets ready to come back. her mother has no legal rights to my house that i own. we live in texas
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Ely replied 9 months ago.
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

I am sorry for the situation you find yourself in.

am i still compelled to legally required to let her back in my house any time she gets ready to come back.

The answer is no. She has no right to your property either under TENANCY or PARENTAL DUTY laws.

TENANCY
She is what is known as a tenant at sufferance. A tenant at will is someone who has no right to occupy the premises, but is tolerated by the owner and may be terminated at the will of the owner. If she leaves voluntarily, she does not have to be allowed back in.

PARENTAL DUTY
You owe her no parental duty. Unless you have adopted her OR have taken on voluntary guardianship, you do not have to allow her back in. The one that owes her a duty to provide housing is her mother. Of course, if you do not let her back in, her mother may have an issue with this - this is a situation which you have to decide how to deal with best, XXXXX XXXXX

But in the end, you owe the child now duty of provide housing; the mother does. If she cannot find housing under your roof, you would not be liable.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Good luck.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE and submit your rating when we are finished.
Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience: Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.