Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience

What is the law in New York State concerning driving a pickup

What is the law in New York State concerning driving a pickup truck with the tailgate down (open) with or without a load in the open bed?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

It is against NY Vehicle and Traffic Code 1222 to have any passengers in the back with tailgate open. Also, it is an equipment violation to have anything protruding beyond the rear bumper without displaying a red flag under NY VAT 375. Those are the two laws that apply.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as or or to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Please answer the question I asked. The pickup truck is empty without an passengers in the bed. I't's an open bed pickup truck without a cap or camper shell. Ok. please awnser the question regarding having the tailgate down protruding beyoond the bumper.

Thank you for your response.

That would be the equipment violation under Section 375 for having something protruding beyond the rear bumper without a flag.