Ellen, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
9968427

Today an officer knocked on my door, and asked to come in in

Today an officer knocked on my door, and asked to come in in order to search for a stolen or lost cell phone. He did not show any search warrant. I let him in, since I had nothing to hide. It turned out that the neighbors had found the cell phone. The people that lost the phone,had used an GPS tracker , that somehow showed my address. Although their phone was next door. Did the police violated the law by entering my house without a search warrant.

Thank you for your question. My name is Ellen. I will do whatever I can to answer your questions!

Did the police violated the law by entering my house without a search warrant.
No. A search warrant is not required when a homeowner consents to a voluntary search

Absent an emergency situation, a police officer may only enter your home with a search warrant or with your consent. Had you chosen to not let the police officer into your home, he would not be permitted to enter without a search warrant.Since you chose to allow the police officer into your home, a search warrant was not required.

Please let me know if you need any clarification. I would be glad to assist you further if I can
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for the information. Under the cited circumstances I figured it was the correct way to clear things up. Although I still wanted to be informed for future events in case somebody else knocks on my door with whatever excuse they happen to come up with. Normally I only answer the door when I know the person, or they present no potential danger to my family.. At night I have to make sure, in case it is a burglar, or a nut.

Anyway, thanks for your time.