Jack R.
Jack R., Lawyer
Experience:  OHIO//Texas Attorney Civil/Crimnal Practice

On October 23, 2013 at about 6:45 pm, A women and a man entered

On October 23, 2013 at about 6:45 pm, A women and a man entered the jewelery store where i am employed. They had come in to pick up a repair. The employee looked in the repair box, I looked in the repair book. Well the employee located the repair. She then gave the repair to me. I opened the envelop and showed the women the ring. It was an engagement ring with a wedding band. The women looked at it and showed it to the man. The women said she wanted something else done. The man said it looked good. He then agreed with the women and became irate. He began to use offensive language. I waited for him to calm and told the women the price. She then said the price was wrong. Then again the man became angry. Well she paid for it. Then the man became very offensive. He began insulting me. I told him if he continue I would call the police. He did not care and continued the insults. I then told him to leave the store. He became aggressive and very confrontational. He was instigating physical contact. He also wanted for me to go outside the store. Well they then left the store.

Now, if i would of stepped outside and he became physically aggressive, would i have been at fault should i have defended myself, causing him bodily injuries.

Thank You.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Jack R. replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you today.

If you went after the individual on the way out and caused any unwanted bodily contact you would have been arrested for assault. The act of leaving your store ends any confrontation that might have allowed you to use force in self-defense. The law will not allow you instigate and assault when one of the parties is leaving the scene of the conflict.

Calling the police is the correct response.

Please accept my answer with a rating of 3 or better so I may get credit for my response. If you have follow up questions please ask. Please note that paying the deposit does not cause funds to be disbursed until you rate my response (3 or greater).

Jack R., Lawyer
Experience: OHIO//Texas Attorney Civil/Crimnal Practice