Nate, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 10 years of criminal defense practice.
11217539

I was wondering if a state trooper in Minnesota has to stop

I was wondering if a state trooper in Minnesota has to stop you for a violation such as littering, or do they drive by,get your license number and send a citation to your home address
My name isXXXXX have been a licensed attorney for over ten years and will be assisting you today.

They can do either, actually. Typically you would be pulled over and issued the citation at the time, but as long as the trooper can show up to court and testify what he witnessed, the citation will be considered valid.

If your contention / defense is that someone else is the person who littered, you would have to swear upon an affidavit as to who else had access to and was driving the vehicle.

If you have more questions please feel free to ask. I'll be happy to answer them. If you do not, please do remember to rate my service in assistance to you today.

Thanks!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

how long would it take to recieve citation in the mail?

It could be a few days to a few weeks. There's no real way to know. It just depends on the efficiency of the law enforcement agency that is issuing it.