Nate, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 10 years of criminal defense practice.
11217539

Yes I have a Dr shopping question. The day before yesterday

Yes I have a Dr shopping question. The day before yesterday I was contacted by a officer about my prescriptions since 2011. I have had three main doctors since 2011 and never overlaped. On top of me having my normal pain management doctor I have had some dental issues as well as female issues. I had my third child and my tubes tied so between my dental and female problems I have had a few SMALL scripts written. In August I changed pain management management doctors for a few reasons but the main is I felt like a lab rat. Since May of this year she has not written me any pain meds and when I found my new Dr in August he requested my records and that's when she said I was Dr shopping ! The officer said it could take up to 3 months for me to hear anything since she has to gather all my records. It has only been two days and I'm going crazy!! What do I need to do and if god forbid something does come back wacky what am I looking at? I have NO record of ANY kind.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Nate replied 10 months ago.
My name isXXXXX have been a licensed attorney for over ten years and will be assisting you today.

The Florida Doctor Shopping law is fairly straightforward.

The "Doctor Shopping" statute is violated when a patient seeks a prescription and then fails to inform the doctor that he or she has already obtained a prescription for the same or similar controlled substance within the last 30 days, EVEN IF the doctor did not specifically ask the patient whether they had done so.

If the records show that did not happen, then you would have nothing to worry about. If they do show it, no matter the amount of the prescribed medicines, you could face criminal charges. If you are charged, it is important that you consult a local defense attorney immediately.

If you have more questions please feel free to ask. I'll be happy to answer them. If you do not, please do remember to rate my service in assistance to you today.

Thanks!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I feel like the dr that I left has it out for me and that scares me. So if this were to go any further what am I looking at?

Expert:  Nate replied 10 months ago.
It depends on how you are charged. The penalty can be serious in Florida - up to five years in prison. If the state believes you were trafficking, it could be worse. It's just too early to tell at this point.

If you can show what you did pertained to a real medical condition and you were seeking treatment in good faith, that is a valid defense to doctor shopping.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Yes I have had issues with my back and neck since I was 19 and Iam 35 now. So it would be beat for me to get a lawyer? How worried should I be because Iam so sick about this I cant eat or sleep!! :(

Expert:  Nate replied 10 months ago.
There is no need to worry as of yet. If the police call and want to speak with you, then you need to get a lawyer. Before that happens, there's really nothing to do.
Nate, Lawyer
Experience: Over 10 years of criminal defense practice.