Nate, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 10 years of criminal defense practice.
11217539

My 18 year old son is going to court for an MIP charge. What

My 18 year old son is going to court for an MIP charge. What are the long term consequences for being convicted of a misdemeanor?
My name isXXXXX have been a licensed attorney for over ten years and will be assisting you today.

The immediate consequences according to the law is "a fine of not more than $500 and imprisonment not exceeding three months. The person may also be ordered to become part of a public work detail under the supervision of the County Sheriff for not more than 10 days."

The odds of imprisonment are low unless there is a history of similar behavior.

The long term consequences are minimal for something like this. Some misdemeanors can cause problems in the future, such as shoplifting, because it shows your dishonest. A MIP conviction doesn't really signify anything other than one was young and showed bad judgment. It should not affect employment or education options in the future.

If you have more questions please feel free to ask. I'll be happy to answer them. If you do not, please do remember to rate my service in assistance to you today.

Thanks!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your reply. Diversion was an option but he is in college and does reside close to the county where the ticket was issued. He would prefer to go to court pay the fine and move forward hopefully lesson learned, but as his parent I wanted to make sure there were not future consequences once he graduates and begins looking for employment. Thank you again for your expertise.

There really wouldn't be for something like that.

Let me know if you have more questions. If not, please do remember to rate my service in assisting you today.

Thanks!