Nate, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 10 years of criminal defense practice.

My son, age 23, no prior arrests, just was arrested for 1st

My son, age 23, no prior arrests, just was arrested for 1st DUI and Crimimal Mischief #3. Does he need to have a lawyer representing him with all. Action with him on Crim/Mischief # XXXXX he opened the door at front of Police station entrance, it does not close properly. Why he was able to walk in the Police station without cuffs on??? He does works 2 partime jobs and goes to school fulltime. Thanks for listening. Concerned Mom
My name isXXXXX have been a licensed attorney for over ten years and will be assisting you today.

It's always advisable to have a lawyer when charged with crimes that could result in a period of jail time. You also want to make sure the criminal mischief and DUI end up together, not consecutive to one another.

I would suggest someone be hired. If he cannot himself afford an attorney and the family is not in a position to retain someone, the court will appoint one to represent him, either from the local bar or the public defender's office.

If you have more questions please feel free to ask. I'll be happy to answer them. If you do not, please do remember to rate my service in assistance to you today.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I thank you for your response, I always think you need a lawyer when going to court with these charges, he does not here me on this one, listening to other friends. This I hope will help me with speaking with him again. thanks for now.

One question, is the Criminal Mischief #3 , a E felony, and what does this mean?

Criminal Mischief 3rd Degree is a Class B Misdemeanor. Criminal mischief in the 3rd degree is committed when you "intentionally or recklessly damage property of another or tamper with property of another that causes the property to be placed in danger of damage, or if you damage property of another by negligence involving the use of potentially dangerous forces."

A Class B Misdemeanor technically carries up to 6 months in jail and a $1,000.00 fine (plus restitution, if anything was damaged). It's less serious than the DUI, actually. But, he certainly needs to listen to you. Representing yourself is only advisable in limited circumstances (traffic tickets, perhaps), and this is not one of them.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Nate, thanks again. Real scarry with this charge, like I thought.

Two more question for now, with the DUI charge, first time, goes to classes, will he be able to retrieve a temporary pass to drive to school and work for the 3 months, this is CT. He did go to Moter Veh. dept yesterday and they said no for now, I am thinking once he goes to court , this will be discussed to him . I hoping this is possible as what I have spoken to others before, but timing could be the change.

His court date is Monday 10/28, should he contact the attorney today and speak with him, and attend the date or wait , I believe go with attorney,

Being a first offender he would be eligible for a restricted license to go to school, work or a place of worship.

He ought to find someone now. Often things can be negotiated and arranged prior to the court date regarding the resolution of the case.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Nate, thanks again, this really helps me to understand all and will discuss all of this with him tonight. I appreciate all ,

Sharon, I'm glad to have been helpful.

If you have more questions please do feel free to call on me in the future. Please do remember to rate my service in assisting you today before you go.