Nate, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 10 years of criminal defense practice.

My grandson, age 12, has been accused of inappropriate behavior

My grandson, age 12, has been accused of inappropriate behavior with a 5 year little girl. This is a nightmare for me because I am so far away from the situation - working out of country. My son is asking my advise on what to do. He has shared with me the details of what happened. Currently, the Nevada Department of Investigations is conducting interviews with several people. They have now asked to speak with my grandson. They have not yet moved forward with charging him. It has been over a month ago when this started. This is a situation we have never had to deal with. We want to protect my grandson's rights, and do not want something like this to end up branding him for the rest of his life. There are responsibilities for both sides in protecting both children, and I do not see any value in taking this to court. It would be a life changing event for everyone. Without going into more details, here are my questions: Should we allow the investigators to talk to my grandson? If so, should we have a Child Advocate present during the questioning?
Thank you for your consideration....
My name isXXXXX have been a licensed attorney for over ten years and will be assisting you today.

Before your son talks to anyone, the family should consult a lawyer and have one present. The key to these situations is avoiding the filing of charges from the beginning, and since it's early in the process, that should still be the goal.

You want your grandson legally prepared and not in a position to incriminate himself.

If the family does not already have a criminal defense lawyer in mind, the Nevada Bar Association's lawyer referral service can help. Their information can be found here

and their phone number is XXXXX (5747) and they are available between the local hours of 8:30am and 5:00pm.

If you have more questions please feel free to ask. I'll be happy to answer them. If you do not, please do remember to rate my service in assistance to you today.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your response. I was finally able to open up the answer through the Open Internet. Have a great day!