Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Criminal Lawyer
Experience:  Almost 12 years of legal experience, primarily in criminal law

29 days ago, during a dispute over being able to drive (among

29 days ago, during a dispute over being able to drive (among other things), my 15yo stepdaughter accused me of molesting her several months prior. Child services removed her later that night and my Wife was questioned by a detective. I haven't heard a peep from child services nor the detective in all this time. How long do these investigations typically take? There is absolutely no evidence in support of her allegation (because there is no evidence to be had).
Hello and thanks for choosing Just Answer.

I'm sorry to hear of your situation...I'm sure it is incredibly frustrating. Unfortunately, there is no way to guess how long the investigation will take because there is no typical investigation. Some police investigations are over in a matter of hours and some stretch into months (or even longer). In a case like this, frequently the only evidence is the testimony of the child so the police and CPS investigators essentially have to determine if the child's story is credible or not. So they will usually have the child evaluated by a psychiatrist at least once to determine if their story holds up under questioning by a mental health professional. Once the investigation is complete, the detective has to decide whether to proceed with charges or not. He or she may even attempt to interview you before deciding (if they do, it is obviously up to you but it is generally a bad idea even when you are innocent to talk to the police without a lawyer since they are trained in interrogation techniques and twisting your words to try to get admissions). If they do believe there is enough evidence to proceed (i.e. that the child's statements are credible), the detective then usually meets with the prosecutor and then the prosecutor may go to the grand jury to seek an indictment. These things take time, although how much time again depends on various factors like how busy the detectives and prosecutors are. It does seem with the only evidence being the complaining witness that the detective would know by know whether they were seeking charges but unfortunately there's no way for me to say that an imaginary deadline has passed and they will definitely not be going forward with a case against you. The only deadline they have to concern themselves with is the statute of limitations (the latest date by which they can file charges) which has not passed yet.