LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.

I was arrested in Kansas in March 2012 on a DWAI, but my court

Customer Question

I was arrested in Kansas in March 2012 on a DWAI, but my court case had not been settled until recently. In February 2013 I was arrested in Oklahoma for driving a car with stolen tags. I received a continuance on my Oklahoma case as long as I did not have any charges for 2 years. I am now settling my DWAI case in Kansas. If I am convicted of a DWAI in Kansas, will that affect my continuance in Oklahoma?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 3 years ago.

My name isXXXXX'm a licensed attorney and am very happy to try and answer your question today. I am sorry for your circumstances and hope all works out.

Yes, unless your continuance was specifically predicated specifically upon only no Oklahoma charges (which I have personally never seen), the Kansas matter will indeed affect your continuance in Oklahoma. There is an interstate mechanism called the Driver License Compact whereby the Kansas case information will automatically be shared with Oklahoma. I realize this may not be what you were hoping to hear, but it is the truth. I felt you deserved an honest and accurate answer.

If you have a follow-up question or need clarification, please just say the word by using "reply" to reach me. I will be sure to check back for any further word from you when I am again working online in this forum.

I truly hope all works out for you and that the information I have provided proves useful. Thanks so much for using this service!

Take care,

Ben, J.D.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is the interstate mechanism betwwen every state? Also, I had been charged just not convicted in Kansas at the time of the Oklahoma case, wouldn't the Oklahoma courts have seen it then? Do you know if it is a misdemeanor or felonly for driving with stolen tags? I haven't received much information concerning those charges.

Hello there,

Great to hear from you and thanks for writing back!

I am happy to answer your additional questions.

All states participate to some degree today. Colorado, Maryland, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania have some limitations. Kansas and Oklahoma are both full participants when it comes to both providing and receiving information.

Merely being charged will not count against you. That is only the case with actual convictions.

Driving with stolen tags is a misdemeanor offense.

Best regards,

Ben, J.D.