Jack R.
Jack R., Lawyer
Experience:  OHIO//Texas Attorney Civil/Crimnal Practice
14472836

I need help in understanding plea agreements. My ex boyfriend

I need help in understanding plea agreements. My ex boyfriend raped me and now is out of jail. It sounds like he and his attorney want to make some sort of plea, but i don't even know what they generally do in these cases, like generally what would the plea entail? I mean what would be ok to accept and what wouldn't be? I don't want it to go to trial actually either because I don't think I could go through that but at the same time I don't want him getting away with this..
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Jack R. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you today.

A plea arrangement is one where your boyfriend will plead guilty to a crime not necessarily the one originally charged crime and obtain a sentence for that crime. The prosecutor should contact you about what the deal is.

Plea bargains are made for the convenience of the Prosecutor and defendant. A prosecutor fearing he may not have enough evidence to convict on the original charge may offer a lesser charge. In some cases the prosecutor may determine the witnesses are not credible or strong enough to handle a criminal trial. In some cases the victims prefer that they not have to testify and a plea bargain achieves that goal.

It is unlikely your ex boyfriend will get off "free". Unfortunately his sentence might not be as long as you would like. sentencing options include time in prison, fines, and probation.

Please accept my answer with a rating of 3 or better so I may get credit for my response. If you have follow up questions please ask. Please note that paying the deposit does not cause funds to be disbursed until you rate my response (3 or greater).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is there any way of knowing about how much prison time i could expect for him in this type of case? like what would be the usual? they haven't talked to me about it yet but I would just like to know about what it might be?

Expert:  Jack R. replied 1 year ago.
Do you know what he was charged with ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Jack R. replied 1 year ago.
The penalty for 2nd degree sexual assault is shall be imprisonment in the penitentiary for not less than ten nor more than twenty-five years, or fined not less than one thousand dollars nor more than ten thousand dollars and imprisoned in the penitentiary not less than ten nor more than twenty-five years.

If plea bargain to 3rd degree sexual assault the penalty is shall be imprisonment in a state correctional facility not less than one year nor more than five years, or fined not more than ten thousand dollars and imprisoned in a state correctional facility not less than one year nor more than five years.

There could be other possibilities with respect to a plea bargain. A felony conviction will be at least 1 year imprisonment.

Jack R., Lawyer
Experience: OHIO//Texas Attorney Civil/Crimnal Practice