Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor
26296561

I am giddy today because I just finish a big exam and I want

I am giddy today because I just finish a big exam and I want to buy something to eat in the market. I already bought something in another market and I just put the staffs I want to buy in that bag. I could not imagine what I was thinking at that time. I only paid for some items I picked and get caught buy the security of the market. The police then came and took me to the police office and took finger prints and photo. Since I am an international student and have no prior record and this is the first time I do this kind of stupid thing. I so not know what to do with the citation and whether it will affect my visa so thus I cannot finish my school. Really feel remorse and regret.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Alex J. Esq. :

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to help you.

Alex J. Esq. :

Are you online with me?

Customer:

yes

Alex J. Esq. :

Welcome to JustAnswer.com

Alex J. Esq. :

I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

Customer:

I am really confusing now and do not know what to do

Alex J. Esq. :

Let me start off by letting you know that this situation is very serious, especially due to your status in the US as an international student, as any criminal conviction can get you detained and deported and for your visa to be terminated immediately and you might not be able to ever legally re-enter the US.

Alex J. Esq. :

Did you make any statements to the police or any admissions of this crime?

Customer:

what kind of statement?

Customer:

No.

Customer:

I did not commit guity

Alex J. Esq. :

Were you questioned by the police?

Customer:

He just ask if I want to tell him what happened

Alex J. Esq. :

Did you say anything to the police??

Customer:

I do not commit guity

Alex J. Esq. :

You are not answering my question...

Customer:

I just say I feel giddy and forget to pay for it

Alex J. Esq. :

Well, that is a big mistake.

Customer:

But he does not record anything

Alex J. Esq. :

What is the criminal charge listed in your citation?

Customer:

retail theft

Alex J. Esq. :

Can you provide me with the specific statute written in your citation please?

Customer:

sure

Customer:

on item 13, it said case instituted by on-view arrest

Alex J. Esq. :

Is there a statute number?

Customer:

where is the statute number on the citation?

Alex J. Esq. :

It should be under statute

Alex J. Esq. :

is there any number or code, or does citation simply states retail theft?

Customer:

under incident no. it is 3813-2275

Alex J. Esq. :

does the citation states retail theft for what amount?

Customer:

no

Customer:

but the amount I did not pay is around 65 dollar

Customer:

the total due is blank and he ask me to write whether plea guilty or not plea guilty and mail back the citation

Alex J. Esq. :

Well, first time retail theft is a summary offense which carries a fine and up to 90 days in jail if you are convicted.

Alex J. Esq. :

But that is not the biggest issue for someone in your situation, since you were photographed and fingerprinted, if you are found guilty of this criminal offense you would be subject to deportation and ban to re-enter US.

Alex J. Esq. :

So the only thing that someone in your situation can do is to consult as soon as possible with local criminal defense attorney and also with local immigration attorney.

Customer:

He said if I choose plea guilty I will just need to wait for the total due on the citation which will send back to me a week later and what I need to do is to pay for the fine and it's over.

Alex J. Esq. :

Does this make sense?

Alex J. Esq. :

Never believe anything that police tells you!

Alex J. Esq. :

It was the same police officer who told you that this was "no big deal" who issued this criminal citation to you...

Alex J. Esq. :

Someone in your situation needs to consult and retain local criminal defense attorney and local immigration attorney as soon as possible.

Alex J. Esq. :

Police are not lawyers and they will say anything to get you to admit guilt or to confess to a crime...

Alex J. Esq. :

Does this make sense?

Customer:

ok

Customer:

so i need to choose i plea not guilty?

Alex J. Esq. :

I cannot tell you what to do, as only your local attorney can provide you with such legal advice upon a full review of your entire case and your immigration situation, but generally most criminal defendants would choose to plead "not guilty", especially if they are not guilty of the crime as charged.

Alex J. Esq. :

Do you have any related follow up questions for me ?

Customer:

no thanks

Alex J. Esq. :

I wish you the best of luck.

Please click on the "Excellent Service" feedback, so I can receive credit for my answer.

Bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, but are not required

Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience: Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor