Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor

i recently got caught at my job for doing frauds returns and

i recently got caught at my job for doing frauds returns and the total amount came up to 4700 and im in new jersey is any there anyway possible i can avoid jail . i know my pregnancy wont matter but im 7 and a half moths pregnant and scared out my mind
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 6 months ago.

Alex J. Esq. :

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X will be glad to help you.

Alex J. Esq. :

Are you online with me?

Customer:

yes

Alex J. Esq. :

Welcome to JustAnswer.com

Alex J. Esq. :

I am very sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

Alex J. Esq. :

Can you please tell me if you were arrested and charged with any crime yet?

Customer:

no they did not arrest me and not yet they gave all the information to the police

Alex J. Esq. :

when did this happen?

Customer:

today

Alex J. Esq. :

Do you have any prior criminal history?

Customer:

no

Alex J. Esq. :

Did you make any statements to the employer or police?

Customer:

i admitted to the crime to the employer

Alex J. Esq. :

Was your admission recorded?

Alex J. Esq. :

Was police present when you confessed to this crime?

Customer:

the conversation we had was recoreded and no the police were not there they gave me the option if i wanted to record and i said yes

Alex J. Esq. :

Why did you consent to being recorded and why did you admit to committing this serious crime???

Customer:

idk i didnt know i was being convicted of anything yet and because they had proof of me doing everything

Customer:

i just wanted to cooperate

Alex J. Esq. :

Well, it is never a good idea to admit to any crime or to make any self-incriminating statements.

Alex J. Esq. :

What is your age?

Customer:

19

Alex J. Esq. :

At what point did your employer called the police?

Customer:

after the interview was done

Alex J. Esq. :

did police arrive to the location of your employment?

Customer:

yes

Alex J. Esq. :

Were you also questioned by the police?

Customer:

no they just got the information from the employer told them they had to go to the court and file a complaint against me

Alex J. Esq. :

Did your employer offer any type of non-criminal option for you to pay back the money that you have stolen?

Customer:

yes they said i would be able to set up a payment plan but no promises were made i still have to go to court

Alex J. Esq. :

Well, unfortunately if you are criminally charged with the theft in 3rd degree, you will be facing up to 5 years in prison upon conviction. Also it is a felony charge and conviction of a felony would make you loss many civil rights.

Customer:

so there is no way i can avoid jail at all

Alex J. Esq. :

Also, a conviction would subject you to a fine and criminal restitution.

Alex J. Esq. :

At this point you need to consult an experienced local criminal defense attorney as soon as possible.

Customer:

okay what would be the minium i serve i jail

Alex J. Esq. :

Since you have confessed to this crime, it will be pretty easy for the prosecutor to convict you, however an experienced local criminal defense attorney might either be able to suppress your confession or at least negotiate a plea bargain deal which would allow you to plead guilty to a reduced charge, be placed on probation, pay fine and also pay full criminal restitution.

Customer:

what is criminal resitutuion

Alex J. Esq. :

Since you are only 19, 7 months pregnant and a first time offender it might be possible to avoid jail, but you do need to consult and retain an experienced local criminal defense attorney as soon as possible!

Alex J. Esq. :

That means that you would have to pay back any amount stolen from the company plus interest.

Customer:

okay but how will i pay the money back if i wont be able to get another job

Alex J. Esq. :

Unfortunately, that is something that is going to be up to you.

Customer:

okay thank you

Alex J. Esq. :

Not only you might have to pay all the money back with interest, but also you will have to pay fines and court costs and also legal fees for your local attorney to represent you in this case.

Alex J. Esq. :

I am very sorry that this has happened to you, but the situation is very serious and you do want to hire a local criminal defense attorney as soon as you can.

Customer:

how can i do that if i dont have the money at the time

Alex J. Esq. :

Well, it would be up to you.

Customer:

okay how can i judge if my lawyer is good or not

Alex J. Esq. :

If you cannot afford a private criminal defense attorney, than you can ask the court to appoint public defender for free, but keep in mind that public defenders are extremely overworked and often times simply would not have the time or energy to dedicate to your case.

Alex J. Esq. :

You can find an experienced local criminal defense attorney by using this well trusted and reliable attorney information / referral websites:

www.martindale.com

www.lexmundi.com

www.lawyers.com

www.justia.com

Customer:

okay thankyou so much

Alex J. Esq. :

You can browse information for many attorneys and compare and review their experience, education, training and level of expertise in the criminal case.

Alex J. Esq. :

Do you have any related follow up questions for me?

Customer:

okay im so scared because this is my first child and i did it out of desperation because i have no where to live legally im in my grandmothers basement but I'm apperciate the advice that would be all

Alex J. Esq. :

I completely understand, but unfortunately desperation or financial hardship would not be considered a legal defense to a crime.

Alex J. Esq. :

Also, I am sorry that you have to deal with this unfortunate situation during your pregnancy and most judges would be inclined to show leniency when it comes to pregnant teen mother, who is also a first offender.

Customer:

hopefully thankyou

Alex J. Esq. :

I wish you the best of luck.

Please click on the "Excellent Service" feedback, so I can receive credit for my answer.

Bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, but are not required

Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience: Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor