Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

I was charged with shoplifting in Walmart today in duluth georgia

I was charged with shoplifting in Walmart today in duluth georgia what will happen to me.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a criminal lawyer.

If the value of the property you allegedly stole is less than $300, this would be a misdemeanor charge, which would carry a maximum penalty of a year in jail and/or a fine of up to $1,000.

However, if this is your first contact with the criminal justice system, you may be able to get out of this mess without a criminal record. It may be possible for you to get a diversion disposition, which is a special form of probation where after you complete your supervision all charges against you will be dismissed. On a first arrest you would be eligible for such a dispositon. But that doesn't mean that the prosecutor will have to offer it to you. If you turn out not to be able to get diversion, the court may still grant you first offender treatment.

So if you can afford one, you should have a lawyer on your court date so that he can negotiate something for you that will keep this crime off of your record. If you cannot afford a lawyer plead NOT GUILTY to keep all of your rights open and ask the judge to appoint you a public defender.