Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor
26296561

I did not commit a crime but I lend my vehicle to my friend

I did not commit a crime but I lend my vehicle to my friend who commited a crime with my vehicle. he was coaught at the scene and he is also charged but my vehicle is still on hold I want to get it back it has been 3 weeks how long before they release my car?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Alex J. Esq. :

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to help you.

Alex J. Esq. :

Are you online with me?

Alex J. Esq. :

Welcome to JustAnswer.com

Alex J. Esq. :

Can you please tell me in what type of crime was your vehicle involved?

Customer:

assult

Customer:

hello

Alex J. Esq. :

Was this assault with your vehicle?

Alex J. Esq. :

Or was your friend simply driving you car when assault occurred.

Customer:

yes

Alex J. Esq. :

yes to which one?

Customer:

just simply driving when assult occured

Alex J. Esq. :

Was the vehicle itself used in this assault? Please tell me more about what happened, so I can understand the situation.

Customer:

he was driving the car and I think he got in to a fight with someone and after the fight he was leaving the scene but got pulledover and the police found a weopen in the car . the weopen was another friend who had a perimit to conceal

Alex J. Esq. :

Was your vehicle impounded?

Customer:

yes

Alex J. Esq. :

Unfortunately, since your vehicle was used during commission of the crime and also to escape from the scene of the crime, police and the DA will be able to keep your vehicle as long as your friend's criminal case is pending and also if your friend is convicted, until all appeals are exhausted, since your vehicle now constitutes evidence in a criminal case.

Alex J. Esq. :

Does this make sense?

Customer:

no

Alex J. Esq. :

Please let me know what related follow up questions do you have?

Alex J. Esq. :

I will be happy to clarify.

Customer:

because i was not aware of this cirme

Alex J. Esq. :

It doesn't matter.

Customer:

okay will I ever get my car back or will the police sell my car

Alex J. Esq. :

If you allowed someone to use your vehicle and your vehicle is used in a commission of the crime, your vehicle can be impounded and would be considered evidence in the criminal case and will be stored by police and DA for as long as the criminal case takes.

Alex J. Esq. :

Generally, your car would be returned to someone in your situation, once the case is over.

Alex J. Esq. :

Is there any type of auto loan or lien on your car?

Customer:

no

Customer:

if i get a lawyer to fight for my vehicle will i be able to get it back

Customer:

sooner

Alex J. Esq. :

No

Alex J. Esq. :

Not unless the case is over or police / DA doesn't need your vehicle as evidence in the criminal case.

Alex J. Esq. :

What is the current market value of your vehicle?

Customer:

why would they need it if they allready have the suspect an they allready charged him

Customer:

2500

Customer:

i think

Alex J. Esq. :

Because the gun was found in the vehicle and the vehicle was used to getaway from the crime scene.

Alex J. Esq. :

So the prosecutors might have to use the actual vehicle at trial to show to the jury.

Alex J. Esq. :

You can and should consult with a local attorney, but it might be impractical, since a local attorney might charge more in legal fees than the vehicle is worth.

Alex J. Esq. :

I am sorry this is happening to you, but the law is very clear on this issue.

Customer:

i can say he stole it

Alex J. Esq. :

Do you have any related follow up questions?

Alex J. Esq. :

Not if you did not report it and even if the car was stolen, it still can be kept for evidence

Alex J. Esq. :

Customer:

no

Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience: Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor