Barrister, Criminal Defense Law
Experience:  14 years practicing criminal defense.
19958803

About 5 years ago I received $10,000 to start a business and

About 5 years ago I received $10,000 to start a business and purchase some equipment for the business. I understood it to be a gift from a generous friend and entrepreneur who had taken me under his wing. He is very well off and has the means to do something like this. We never formalized anything in writing and when I mentioned giving him an interest in the company he said that he wanted nothing in return except to see me succeed. He wanted to give me an opportunity. Fastforward to more present times, the business didn't work out and I ended up having to sell some of the equipment. I contacted him repeatedly over many months out of courtesy to see if he wanted any of the profit from the equipment. I never heard back from him. I sold the equipment because I had a willing and able buyer ready to go and I collected the profit. The money has since been used up. I was unemployed for a short while and I used some of the money to pay off student loans. Now he and his wife have come out of the blue and are calling me a fraud and a jerk when they found out the equipment had been sold and they were not going to be able to get their money back. Do they have a cause of action action me? What can I expect them to do legally? What would my best course of action be if they try to pursue legal action against me? This is obviously very upsetting to me because I don't want this to turn into anything serious or have to engage in legal proceedings if there is a way around that.

Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 10 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
Was there ever any type of written agreement for the $10,000 that stated you had to repay it?
.
Any oral agreement?
.
And you understood it to be a gift with no strings attached?
.
Did you ever repay any of the money to them?
.
And it has been around 5 years since the money was received by you?
.
.
Thanks
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hello Barrister,

No written agreement that stated that I had to repay the $10,000

No oral agreement either.

I understood it to be a gift with no strings attached.

I never repayed any of the money to them.

It has been around five years since the money was received by me.

Thanks!

Ed

Ok, from a purely legal perspective, if there was never any written agreement, even if this was a loan it would be beyond the statute of limitations in VA for them to act to try and recover it. The SOL on an oral contract in VA is only 3 years. If it was intended as a gift as you thought, then once the giftor makes the gift, they give up any ownership of it forever and can't come back later and demand the gift back.
.
So at this point, they would have no legal grounds to try and sue you for the money, whether it was a gift or a loan.
.
If they were to actually try to file suit, an attorney would tell them that the SOL has long since run and they have no case. If they tried to pursue this on their own, then you would just have to assert the SOL as a defense to their claim and a judge will dismiss the case.
.
.
Thanks
Barrister, Criminal Defense Law
Experience: 14 years practicing criminal defense.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I can't thank you enough. Have a great evening!

Ed

You are very welcome. Glad to help.
.
.
Thanks
Barrister, Criminal Defense Law