Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.

I received a DUI in St. Johns County, Florida on October 5.

I received a DUI in St. John's County, Florida on October 5. I did on take the BAC. I am trying to figure out my options. I have 2 daughters that I need to drive to school and activities and I am a real estate agent.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a criminal lawyer.

Florida's penalties for a first DUI depend upon how high your BAC was. You should be able to avoid jail time on a first DUI, but you can see the various possible penalties and fines here. (See link)

There may be another option. Florida sometimes allows a DUI to be reduced to a reckless driving, which may enable you to avoid a license suspension. Whether that's available will depend on the facts and circumstances of your case and perhaps also the persuasive negotiating skills of your attorney, since this would be at the discretion of the District Attorney.

Otherwise, if you are convicted of this offense there's a 6 to 12 month license suspension period, but assuming this is your first DUI you would be eligible to apply for for a hardship license upon completion of Florida's 12 hour DUI school. You could read about the course requirements here.

It's a good idea to have a lawyer with you when you come to court to keep the penalties to a minimum and to try to negotiate reckless driving.