Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney-at-Law
66887675

My sons girlfriend who lived him about 10 months and who he

My son's girlfriend who lived him about 10 months and who he has a child with, took his ATM card and remover most of his money. He was in the hospital at the time having undergone emergency brain surgery. (A real sweet heart) His password XXXXX the ATM was hidden in a dresser drawer. Because he cannot work he was forced to move to my house and mail forwarding delayed him finding out till today from August. She and the baby went to her mother's house. They had a townhouse that they bought with my son's grandmother that is up for sale. When he was under going life threatening surgery (3 times) she insisted that only she could sign for him (at the hospital) because of the Md. Domestic Partners Law. I'm thinking that she will claim this as an excuse for taking his money. She is saying she didn't do it but it was all done on ATM so there are probably photo records. Can he recover the money? What can he do? Thanks

Thelawman2 :

If she improperly took money out of his ATM, then he could do two things. One is to press charges against here for basically stealing his money.

Thelawman2 :

The second thing to do is to sue his girlfriend to recover the money.

Customer:

Which is the better idea?

Thelawman2 :

You can do both, but pressing charges would probably result in the recovery of the money if she still has it plus the police would take the lead rather than you having to take the time and money to recover the funds

Thelawman2 :

And just so you know, the Maryland Domestic Partnership Law would not be applicable in this case...it is only applicable in relation to hospital decisions

Customer:

So he just calls the police?

Thelawman2 :

Yes, and files a report (he can go down to the police station to fill out the paperwork)

Customer:

Thanks

Thelawman2 :

You are welcome, please provide positive feedback