Nate, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 10 years of criminal defense practice.

I have committed unemployment insurance fraud, working in one

I have committed unemployment insurance fraud, working in one state and collecting unemployment insurance for 8 months in another state. I know it was wrong and I was in the middle of a divorce and trying to get back on my feet. What is the likelihood of being caught and should I retain a criminal defense attorney to self-report the crime to EDD?
My name isXXXXX have been a licensed attorney for over ten years and will be assisting you today.

Have you ceased collecting the improper benefits and if so, when did you stop?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It am ceasing it tomorrow. I cannot file the unemployment claim today online but have to wait until tomorrow. I know this was an incredibly stupid thing to do.

The wisdom of it aside, you don't get any points for confessing to doing it. It is incumbent upon the state to find out about it and demand repayment, which is what would most likely happen initially. If that happens and you don't make repayment arrangements, it then may result in a criminal situation. But you are not there yet.

If a client consulted me regarding a situation like this, I would suggest he cease the activity and lay low. If you do choose to go ahead and confess to improperly accepting the benefits, hire a criminal defense attorney in the state where you were collecting the benefits, and be prepared to offer a repayment plan.

If you have more questions please feel free to ask. I'll be happy to answer them. If you do not, please do remember to rate my service in assistance to you today.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

One additional question, as I mentioned, I was in an abusive marriage and my soon to be ex-husband controlled our personal finances to the extent I was not allowed a debit card, etc. When I finally left and filed for divorce, I learned we had $180K in credit card debt and three mortgages with no equity in the homes. As such, I am preparing to file Chapter 7 once the divorce is final (any day now). I have retained a BK attorney and was wondering if the BK proceedings will trigger an investigation?

I've no doubt you've encountered people that have really gotten themselves into a bind because of their own stupidity and desperation, but I probably win the award on this one. I greatly appreciate your help.

At 48, I've lost nearly everything -- financially and personally and really was not thinking clearly. I am now faced with the consequences of poor decisions, although choosing to divorce was not one of them. Again, thank you for your help.

I'm happy to be able to help in whatever way I can.

The bankruptcy won't trigger anything. The court is not going to investigate the legality of the benefits you received and would have no motivation or reason to communicate with that state regarding the payments.