Jack R.
Jack R., Lawyer
Experience:  OHIO//Texas Attorney Civil/Crimnal Practice
14472836

Is it required that a lawyer forward all on-the-record documents

Is it required that a lawyer forward all on-the-record documents in his client's case to the client? I pled guilty three years ago to a charge; however I did so only in the face of numerous civil rights violations, lies, cut corners, and upon my lawyer's constant urgings. While serving my sentence the DA's office filed a motion to withdraw my plea and dismiss my case and sent a copy of the motion to my lawyer. The court granted the motion. About four months afterward I filed a pro se motion to vacate my judgment and received word back that the case was dismissed. I ordered the record which was the motion for the dismissal; and sure enough, 4 months earlier a motion had been filed; my lawyer had been aware of it, and didn't pass the info along that my case was dismissed. Is it unethical what my lawyer did?
Thank you for choosing Just answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you.

A lawyers ethic requires that he/she communicate with their clients. Such communication should address key aspects of the case and keep the client apprised of what is going on. It may not be necessary to forward all documents, but it is necessary for the status of you case be communicated to you in a timely fashion, Especially something as significant as a plea withdrawal and dismissal.

Lawyers are required to taking continuing education on ethics. In almost every session I have attended the key complaint to the bar is lack of communication.

Please accept my answer with a rating of 3 or better so I may get credit for my response. If you have follow up questions please ask. Please note that paying the deposit does not cause funds to be disbursed until you rate my response (3 or greater).

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If there any specific mention made inside whatever code of ethics manual there might be for lawyers, in regards XXXXX XXXXX of not passing along important papers of this sort to the client?

The code generally deals with communication not specific documents. Keep in mind the code is designed to provide guidance of minimal standards of conduct. It tends to be broad to cover multiple aspects of our job and responsibilities.