Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.

Is it a federal crime for an organization to open first class

Is it a federal crime for an organization to open first class mail specifically addressed to a resident, then discard and destroy the envelope, read the content, then destroy the content without the resident's consent or knowledge?

Yes it is a Federal offense for anyone to appropriate and tamper with another's mail You can see the Federal mail tempering statute here (see link) This would be a Federal offense.

What you would need to do would be to report the company to the Postal Inspection Services website. The USPS handles its own criminal investigation. It has its own law enforcement agency that is on par with the FBI and which handles matters relating to the mail. They take mail fraud/mail tampering very seriously. You can file your complaint here.

For good measure, you can contact the FBI as well. Here is a link to all of the field offices and you could contact the one nearest you. They may just tell you to contact the Postal Inspection Service, but it doesn't hurt to at least try to get both agencies to look into this..

Good luck.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Mahalo Fran!

I may or may not pursue this case. It affected 119 people, and the management of this company chose to do this behind closed doors and they were dumb enough to mention it to my colleague. Your response and links will be my future references/sources. You are the bomb!

Thank you and Aloha, (Yes, stuff happens like this even in Hawaii)

Hi Jen,

Best of luck to you if you decide to take it on. Actually, best of luck whether you do or not! :)

Enjoy the weekend. (How could you not in Hawaii?)