Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.

I was alerted by a supervisor at my company that a co-worker

I was alerted by a supervisor at my company that a co-worker created a email account using my name and emailed a message "throwing fellow employees under the bus". I haven't seen the email yet, but the supervisor has discovered the IP address from which the email originated.

What legal recourse do I have? Would this be considered Slander/Deformation of Character?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to discussing this and providing you information in this regard.

It would not be any sort of defamation. But it could be criminal ID theft.

I suggest that you and your employer should discuss and consider filing a report with the local police and let them in on this investigation.

I hope that this information is helpful. If you need further information, please just send me a reply asking for clarification. After that, I hope you will enter a positive rating so that I will be credited for assisting you. Thanks again for using this service. Your business is appreciated..

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We will likely pursue that route. What is the punishment for criminal ID theft?

If the emails continue to be sent, is it an option to file a lawsuit?

I need to know what state you are in to tell you the penalies.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It would be a Class D felony and it carries a penalty of up to 1.5 years.

You would be able to file a lawsuit if you can show that due to his behavior you have been damaged - for instance, if you were sued by your co workers or you were fired from your job
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Lastly, what steps are required in pursuing the Class D felony ID theft charge? Our company has a Police Department with jurisdiction in Indiana and Illinois.

Thanks for your "educational advice" and I will Rate to Finish after your response.

The police need to investigate it and they can bring charges. Once charges are brought, then the District Attorney reviews the situation and they decide to pursue or not.

In a situaiton like this, I suggest the DA will pursue the charges