Nate, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 10 years of criminal defense practice.

I just got a job offer in MA, I have a conviction which is

I just got a job offer in MA, I have a conviction which is more that 10 years old for violating a restraining order by telephone. No allegations of violence involved. How do I handle the background check?
My name isXXXXX have been a licensed attorney for over ten years and will be assisting you today.

Where did the conviction for violating the restraining order occur? And did you serve any time for it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I served no time and the conviction was in MA. I have a clean record since.

Any violation of a restraining order in Massachusetts is considered a criminal offense and a felony. New expungement laws allow for this to be removed from your record after 15 years. Until then, it is still on your record and would show up on a background check.

It's always to be up front and honest in situations like this because they prospective employer is going to find out anyway and it would be better they hear it from you.

Acknowledge the conviction on your application paperwork. Explain it fully, indicating that it was a phone call and how long ago it occurred, emphasizing that you have been in no other trouble since. That is always the best way to handle a situation like this.

If you have more questions please feel free to ask. I'll be happy to answer them. If you do not, please do remember to rate my service in assistance to you today.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I thought the CORI rule put a 10 year limit on employers seeing felonies?

That is using CORI. In real practice, employers use independent search firms that catalog court records, which the state does not prohibit. Because of this, convictions much older than yours routinely are reported in background checks.