How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Roger Your Own Question

Roger, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 28804
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received a charge of Driving to Endanger in Maine on my way

Resolved Question:

I received a charge of Driving to Endanger in Maine on my way back home to Mass. I was driving down a road, sandwiched between a large truck which was driving below the speed limit and a small toyota that was right on my tail. I peaked the drivers side slightly out and saw there was no cars coming, there WAS a broken yellow line so I decided to pass. Then suddenly over a hill that was pretty far away came a car driving towards me and I didn't have any option other than to pass the truck as quickly as possible since there was that other vehicle that was driving with- in feet of my rear end. I sped up and passed the front of the truck and was with- in I'd say about 12 feet of the on coming vehicle. The vehicle pulled over and pulled a u- turn followed me behind the truck and car then I came to a stop where construction was being done on a road. The man came up to my window and showed me his badge and asked for my license, he wrote me a ticket and I said I'm very sorry, I misjudged the distance between us and he told me that I could have just killed someone and in my case, a cop.

What should I expect as a result in this case and is there any kind of agreements or offers that I should expect? I'd like to keep my license if possible, I've only had it for about a year and a half and my first vehicle for about 5 months. This is my first driving issue and it's 400+ miles from my house. Should I get a ride or drive myself to court?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Roger : Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Criminal Law litigation attorney. Thanks for your question. I'll be glad to assist.
Roger : Under Maine law, driving to endanger is a Class E misdemeanor, which carries a maximum penalty of a $1,000.00 fine and 6 months jail. A mandatory minimum sentence of a $575.00 fine and a license suspension of 30 days must be imposed by the court. The court is free to suspend a license for up to 180 days. It would be in your best interest to consult an attorney in the area where you got the ticket so you can discuss the specific facts of your case, evaluate your options and decide how to proceed. It is possible to have the misdemeanor reduced to an infraction if the prosecutor and judge will agree. That could allow you to avoid losing your license.
Roger : It is also possible to seek a deferred adjudication, which could keep this off of your record as well. Here's a good link you can read about the law of deferred adjudication:
Roger : You would likely need to have someone go with you because of the mandatory 30 day license suspension.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi, if The State of Maine says license suspension of 30 days then does that mean that I CAN'T drive in Mass? Or period, No driving at all? Does my case seem to be serious enough to carry a jail sentence? It's automaticaly 30 days suspension and $575.00 Fine? If I plead Guilty and try for a
deferred adjudication and end up having to pay a fine every month then do I have to show up in person to pay? Also, I live a little over 400 miles from the city, would they even allow me to have a
deferred adjudication? The computer system will be keeping tabs on me, checking for any wrong doing? I am NOT a rich person so to hire my own lawyer will be a very large strain on my current financial spiral, would going with a court appointed lawyer be ill advised?

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Your driving privileges would be suspended anywhere.

Jail time is possible, but not very likely at all for a first offense. If you were to plead guilty, that would be the minimum fine and penalty. If you get a deferred adjudication, you can get a lesser penalty, but you would still have to show up for court.

Even because of your distance, you could still get a deferred adjudication. If you get an attorney, he/she can work out the details for you. Trying to get a compromise/deferred adjudication without an attorney would be very difficult. It would be difficult to do something like this on your own.

Please let me know if you need anything further.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Would I be safe in getting a public defender and just asking "If I were to plead guilty, could you request that I receive the minimum fine and penalty?" So I can get all of this behind me because I don't want to have to drive to Maine every month to pay a monthly fine when there's gonna be a lot of snow and ice on the ground. Could they refuse and give me a harsher sentence? I want to just go up there in a few days and bring $1,000 to cover any fee's/ fines. Could that turn out bad doing it that way?

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Yes, a public defender is as good as any attorney you could hire privately. The biggest issue is that the public defender just doesn't have as much time to spend with you to get this done.


If you were to plead guilty, you would likely be allowed to pay a fine and not have to return. If they gave you probation, you could likely transfer it to your local probation office and not have to return, etc.


That's where a local attorney can help you as he/she would know what the prosecutor and judge will likely do based on history and get you the best deal.

Roger, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 28804
Experience: BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Roger and 5 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Your Expert advise has provided insight on a difficult situation. Thank you so much for the prompt response. I will definitely recommend your website to my friends. Norma Pensacola, FL
< Previous | Next >
  • Your Expert advise has provided insight on a difficult situation. Thank you so much for the prompt response. I will definitely recommend your website to my friends. Norma Pensacola, FL
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL

Meet The Experts:

  • Ely

    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
< Last | Next >
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • Nate's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 10 years of criminal defense practice.
  • P. Simmons's Avatar

    P. Simmons


    Satisfied Customers:

    16 yrs. of experience including criminal law.
  • LawTalk's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    30 years legal experience
  • Marsha411JD's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed attorney with 29 yrs. exp. in criminal law
  • RobertJDFL's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
  • AttorneyTom's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers: