Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

I am being told I will be charged with 2 counts of fraud for

I am being told I will be charged with 2 counts of fraud for submitting a false diploma for school NOVA, is there a first time offenders program in Virginia? How can i avoid going to trial and being convicted of anything?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a criminal attorney.

Virginia's does have a first offender program, but unfortunately it is for drug cases. That does not mean, however, that your lawyer won't be able to work out something favorable to you without that. Much will depend upon the facts and circumstances of your case and whether the prosecutor is interested in indicting this or reducing the charge. But your charge is non-violent and if this is your first contact with the criminal justice system, there are alternative possibilities Virginia offers such as a diversion dispositon, a stet docket, a deferral, a Suspended Imposition of Sentence, for which you may turn out to be eligible, any of which would allow you to come out of this case without trial and without having to carry around a conviction for the rest of your life.

So the best thing you can do for yourself is to get a lawyer as soon as possible and let him start negotiating early to keep your record clean if it is at all possible. With a charge such as this, in my experience, you'd generally be looking at probation as a worst case scenario, but to parlay that into something which will keep the charge off of your record, the sooner an attorney gets ahold of the prosecutor and starts to work for you, the better.