Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor
26296561

Just received my license in New York. I did so, by (meeting

Just received my license in New York. I did so, by (meeting all the requirements) including getting Hawaii to lift the national driver license stopper their DMV had issued by applying for SR-22 insurance. Now that I have my NY license, do I have to keep the SR 22 insurance. It is not required in NY. Letting it lapse means Hawaii DMV will be notified and likely suspend driving privleges. But now that I have a NY license do I still have to abide Hawaii DMV? My new license is good for 4 years beyond the period in which I was required to have the SR-22. Am I correct in thinking this won't be a problem at least until I go to renew my clean NY license in 4 years and they tell me there is a hold on it from Hawaii, but I clear it because the time period for the hold will have passed?

Alex J. Esq. :

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to help you.

Alex J. Esq. :

Are you online with me?

Alex J. Esq. :

Welcome to JustAnswer.com

Alex J. Esq. :

I am sorry to hear about your dilemma.

Alex J. Esq. :

Unfortunately, you are incorrect in your assumption.

Alex J. Esq. :

If you discontinue carrying SR-22, Hawaii DMV will be notified and will suspend / revoke your driver license in Hawaii and will notify NY DMV which will in turn suspend / revoke your NY DL.

Alex J. Esq. :

Does this make sense?

Customer:

Sort of. NYS does not have SR 22 requirement. How can it be revoked?

Alex J. Esq. :

It would be revoked based on your failure to comply with the requirement placed on you by another state.

Alex J. Esq. :

So basically you would have to comply with that requirement from Hawaii, regardless to what state you move or which state issues you a DL.

Alex J. Esq. :

You can obtain SR-22 insurance in the state of NY

Customer:

Bummer!! Thanks.

Alex J. Esq. :

Although SR-22 is not required in the state of New York, if you are required to file an SR-22 in another state, you should continue to do so if you want to retain your driving privileges. Keep in mind that suspension or revocation of your driving privileges in another state will also result in the suspension of your driving privileges in New York.

Alex J. Esq. :

I wish you the best of luck.

Please click on the "Excellent Service" feedback, so I can receive credit for my answer.

Bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, but are not required