Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by West
6704987

I am charged with obstruction in a few different counties.

Customer Question

I am charged with obstruction in a few different counties. My lawyer sent them a letter saying that he will accept the service papers. Are those just the papers saying what the charges are?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Roger replied 10 months ago.

Roger : Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Criminal Law litigation attorney. Thanks for your question. I'll be glad to assist.
Roger : Yes, your lawyer is just accepting process on your behalf instead of you having to be served individually.
Customer: Ok
Roger, Lawyer
Experience: BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by West
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Expert:  Roger replied 10 months ago.
Hi -

I saw you made a post, but there's nothing here. Did you have another question?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

no that wasnt me sorry

Expert:  Roger replied 10 months ago.
No problem. Just making sure you didn't need anything else.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Just found out I have court on November 4th is the initial appearance. That's just where I plead right? And since I was never arrested for this incident I will probably be arrested

Expert:  Roger replied 10 months ago.
That's right. The initial appearance (also called the arraignment) is when the charges are formally made against you and the judge will ask if you pleads guilty or not guilty.

Also, the judge may order that you post bond to remain out, etc.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

One more question. If I am arrested in the court room on Monday, my parents or lawyer can post bond that day right? sorry I have never been charged with a crime without being arrested first. And I am just scared

Expert:  Roger replied 9 months ago.
Yes, that should be possible.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

alright thanks

Expert:  Roger replied 9 months ago.
Sure. You can consult with your lawyer, but it certainly shouldn't be an issue to bond out the same day.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I kind of figured that because it is only misdeanor charges but just wanted to double check

Expert:  Roger replied 9 months ago.
Understood. Please let me know if you need something further.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

one more question I go for intial appearance tomorrow. my dad is coming with me and wants to know if I will be hand cuffed in court? could ask my lawyer he was gone last week

Expert:  Roger replied 8 months ago.
It's not likely for a misdemeanor offense - - especially if you're not in custody. But, if the judge orders that you be arrested, you could be placed in handcuffs for a short time.

You could likely ask your lawyer and get him to try and work something out with the prosecutor.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

ok thank you

Expert:  Roger replied 8 months ago.
Sure
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

ok I am really confused right now initialy I was suppose to have an intial appearance today for one of the counties but last week my lawyer told me it was adjourned to jan. 27th. Well it turns out I that something happened and I guess the court must of not known that.

So I got the call on break isaying I missed court. so I went on ccap to see whats going on this is what it said

10:14 a.m. No appearance by the defendant. Kyle Sargent for the State of Wisconsin. Court orders a warrant and stays for ten days to make contact with the defendant. Court adjourned at 10:15 a.m.

then it said

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Courtesty warrant letter sent to Defendant to respond on or before January 2, 2013, or a warrant will be issued.

my question is do I have a warrant now or will I after January 2?

Expert:  Roger replied 8 months ago.
Hi Sami -

The the court ordered a warrant and then STAYED it for 10 days. January 2nd is likely the 10 days when you count the weekend and holiday vacation days. But, it doesn't sound like you would have a warrant until January 2nd.

Also, if your attorney told you that the case was continued until 1/27, then this may be moot - - it may be an automatic mailing if someone fails to appear. Thus, you just need to consult your lawyer about this notice and make sure if you need to respond to it by 1/2 or if you can disregard it.

However, currently it doesn't look like there's been a warrant issued for you due to the stay.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

ok thanks

Expert:  Roger replied 8 months ago.
Sure. No problem.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.

last night the police were sent to my parents house after I supposly called 911 last night. Can they charge me with obstruction? or any crime for miss use of 911?

Or is that up to my po?

Expert:  Roger replied 4 months ago.
Prank calling 911 is illegal, and can be a minor/misdemeanor offense. If charges were filed it could be a basis to revoke probation.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.

ok I guess I just to wait and see if they

file charges. I don't even remember doing it

Expert:  Roger replied 4 months ago.
That's really all you can do at this juncture.