Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney-at-Law
66887675

how much time does the court have to arraign you

Customer Question

Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Thelawman2 replied 3 years ago.

Thelawman2 :

An arraignment is done after an arrest and booking and the DA decides to charge the crime - those charges shall be presented and arraigned within 48 hours of booking.

Customer :

i was arrested in april 2011 and was not sent an arraignment date until december 2012 and to this date have not been arragned

Thelawman2 :

This means that you have not actually been charged with anything. They could bring charges later, but as of right now, it appears the process to bring charges. The requirement that you need to have arraignment within 48 hours is because of your right to speedy trial.

Thelawman2 :

However, if you are not being held in custody, then there is nothing really to do at this point but ignore it and hope the charges are just dropped.

Customer :

i am fight the case in court right now and it has cost me two forty-thousand bonds

Thelawman2 :

If you are fighting the case in court, then you would have had to be arraigned. Arraignment is where the charges are read and you enter a plea.

Customer :

hi I have a question with regard to my car being towed

Customer :

I ran in the house to use the restroom. I was gone no more than 8-10 minutes and when I returned my car was gone

Customer :

The issue my dogs were in the car

Customer :

Is this legal