Nate, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 10 years of criminal defense practice.

I received a threatening letter from the US Attty saying they

Customer Question

I received a threatening letter from the US Attty saying they have evidence that I committed conspiracy related to project synergy and that I should contact them regarding disposition of this case by October 15. What does this mean?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Nate replied 3 years ago.
My name is Nate. I have been a licensed attorney for over ten years and will be assisting you today.

To confirm this is real, I need to get a little more information from you.

1) Who signed the letter, and what is their title?

2) Did they provide you with a number to call? If so, what is it? and,

3) Do you or have you ever had any dealings with anything called "project synergy"?

Let me know the above and I will get right back with you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The letter was signed by the asst us attorney in Fresno, Ca.The only number given was on the letterhead XXX-XXX-XXXX. The atty I was speaking with emailed the AUSA asking for additional time to discuss but onlly received a vauge reply. I did a fair amount of consulting work for an organization whose principals were indicted in project synergy.

Expert:  Nate replied 3 years ago.
In that case, it likely is legitimate, then.

They are reaching out to you to work out a plea deal and/or for your cooperation regarding other potential conspirators. This is a way to avoid going to the trouble of indicting you and initiating a full blown criminal proceeding.

If your attorney has contacted them, they would normally agree to at least a little more time. If your attorney will not be available before the 15th, and considering that this is federal in nature, I would suggest you find someone else to represent you as soon as you can.

If you have more questions please feel free to ask. I'll be happy to answer them. If you do not, please do remember to rate my service in assistance to you today.