Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.

I purchased a vacuum from a friend who was moving back to Memphis

Customer Question

I purchased a vacuum from a friend who was moving back to Memphis and could not carry it on the bus; however, since then he has moved back. All week he has been asking to borrow the vacuum to clean some apartments and I said no but he is now saying the vacuum was stolen when I originally asked him was it stolen. He originally told me that he won the vacuum for having great sales at work. What should I do as he is now saying he is going to the cops and is telling them that I have the vacuum. I have paid him money and I did not know that he stole the vacuum as he claimed it was his vacuum and it is used.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification.

You really only have two choices. The first is hiring an attorney and letting him handle it. He can contact the police for you, explain what happened and attempt to determine if the vacuum actually was stolen. The only real disadvantage to doing this is it will cost you a couple of hundred dollars (maybe).

The other option is to contact the police yourself, explain to them what happened, keep a record of everyone you talk to and wait and see what they say. By contacting them first you greatly reduce the chances they are going to pursue you in any way regardless of what the seller tells them.