How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nate Your Own Question
Nate, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 10685
Experience:  Over 10 years of criminal defense practice.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Nate is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter was convicted of attempted murder (pled guilty

This answer was rated:

My daughter was convicted of attempted murder (pled guilty as she actually committed the act post epileptic seizure, and had brain surgery in 1991) so the prosecutor deemed her a "danger to society". She has been in jail thee years, although she was only sentenced last year. I was the victim, and her mother and I know my daughter. The judge and prosecutor kept talking about our toxic relationship, but we are actually close and naturally have some squabbles. For the past twenty plus years we have had coffee together or talked on the phone every day. Prior to that I raised her alone since she was about 18 months, and I am most knowledgable abput her condition. On top of it the prosecutor put a 40 year restraining order that we can't be together without someone over 21 for the next 40 years. She is 43 and I am 61. This is so wrong. Please tell me where to go and how to fix this terrible situation. I found out later my youngest daughter had told the police to take her to Yale or Hartford Hospital or UCONN Neurological. The police did neither, but took her and questioned her for hours until she told them all kinds of things that didn't make sense. Does anyone know what a seizure does to one's brain?
My name isXXXXX have been a licensed attorney for over ten years and will be assisting you today.

You mentioned that she was sentenced last year. When exactly was she sentenced?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


In that case, there is still time to file a federal Petition for a Writ of Habeas Corpus. She has a year from the date of her sentencing to file this in federal court, challenging the legality of her detention in prison. In it, she would raise the issues of her mental health that you have described.

This is something you would do well to have a lawyer assist her with, as they are not often granted. Also, she is entitled to this as a right, so there would be no chance of getting a lawyer appointed to represent her with the petition.

If you have more questions please feel free to ask. I'll be happy to answer them. If you do not, please do remember to rate my service in assistance to you today.

Nate and 7 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How do I find an attorney who would file the paperwork for her? It would be best to find one near New London County.

This at least gives me an avenue to pursue. Thank you.

The Connecticut Lawyer Referral Service can offer recommendations in New London County. Their information is here