How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger , Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 30793
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i am 27 years old, and in SC, last night a drug dog hit on

Resolved Question:

i am 27 years old, and in SC, last night a drug dog hit on my car during a routine traffic stop for a busted light, upon search the cops found 1/8th of a gram of marijuana and a pipe.

they let me go on my way with a $500 paraphernalia and $600 simple possession charge.

I drive for a living for a government contract carrying people to the doctor for medicare and medicaid. I don't want to lose my job for being found in posession of someone elses drugs.. what is my best line of action for this? Will this make me ineligible for DOT certification next summer?

I am looking towards maybe pre trial intervention, or deferred judgement, not really sure my best line of action at the moment.
Thank you for you help.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Roger replied 2 years ago.

Roger : Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Criminal Law litigation attorney. Thanks for your question. I'll be glad to assist.
Roger : Your best option is to try and enter into a pre-trial diversion program or a deferred adjudication process in order to keep the charges off of your record and avoid a conviction.
Roger : If you do this and complete the program, the charges will erased from your record and you should have no issues with this in the future.
Roger : If these charges weren't deferred or if you didn't engage in a pre-trial diversion program, you could face problems with getting a DOT certification.

how does one go about doing that? do i just go to the court house monday morning and tell them i want to enroll in pti? or do i wait for my court date?

Roger : The best way to get this done is to consult a local attorney who can talk to the prosecutor and get a deal worked out, and then when you go to court, your attorney can announce the agreement to the judge for approval.

if i go ahead and pay the fine tomorrow, will that negate my ability to sign up for pti or deferred adjudication?

Roger : The court clerk can't help you with this, and the prosecutor likely won't speak to you before the hearing, so getting an attorney will allow you to get this done asap.
Roger : If you pay the fine before the court date, it may waive your right.
Roger : It'd be better to consult an attorney about your options and then try to cut a deal with the prosecutor. You may still have to pay the fines, but it's better to wait and see what deal you can reach.

do you know any attorneys in south carolina you can reccommend?


and if i go through pti, and a lawyer, do you think this $1100 charge will balloon over $5000

Roger : We can't recommend a specific attorney, but I can direct you to visit Martindale-Hubbell's website ( and search for an attorney in your area.

i appreciate it.

Roger : When you go to the site, click on "I Want to: Find a Lawyer or Law Firm" and then enter your search criteria.

is this something i should not attempt in anyway to represent myself on?

Roger : The problem with trying to represent yourself is that you generally can't get anything done before the trial/hearing date, and then it's difficult to work something out.

so i run the risk of a 1100 fine turning into 30 days jail time?

Roger : It's usually worth hiring an attorney to get a deal reached and then you just walk into court on the day of the hearing and announce to the judge what you're going to do.
Roger : Or both.



thanks for enlightening me to this actually being serious.


do lawyers usually do payment plans, or is it a cash in advance industry?

Roger : It's more serious because of the long term affects a conviction could have on you - - that's why it's usually worth getting an attorney to prevent any extended damage.
Roger : Most attorneys will allow a payment plan, with a deposit being paid up front.

is there any chart/table you could refer me to, so i could have a rough estimate on legal fees, that way i will know if a local attorney is trying to take advantage of my pocket book?


i thank you for your timely response, i will definitely give you an excellent rating.

Roger : There's no chart that I'm aware of, but the best way to see who is reasonable is to find 4-5 lawyers and then call and see what they charge, how they want to be paid, etc.

do you think it will top over 2k? i know you cant answer that definitively, but through your observations, is it unlikely to go higher than that?

Roger : There will likely be a great difference between prices - - some attorneys don't need the money, so they make it worth their while in order to take a case, and some other attorneys need money and are willing to do it for less.
Roger : $1500-$2000 would be my guess.

okay thats doable, anything approacing 5 isnt.


if i pay in advance i might even be able to work a deal with them too as i have 3k sitting in a safe

Roger : That's right. It's negotiable, and if you show up with cash, it's hard to turn that down.

thank you very much Roger. I appreciate you not giving me copy and paste answers. so much.


i can sense you actually read more than 4 words of my sentences. I really like that.

Roger : No problem! Glad to help.

have a good afternoon.

Roger : Thanks for letting me help, and if you need something further, just let me know.
Roger, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 30793
Experience: BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Roger and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Your Expert advise has provided insight on a difficult situation. Thank you so much for the prompt response. I will definitely recommend your website to my friends. Norma Pensacola, FL
< Previous | Next >
  • Your Expert advise has provided insight on a difficult situation. Thank you so much for the prompt response. I will definitely recommend your website to my friends. Norma Pensacola, FL
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL

Meet The Experts:

  • Ely


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
< Last | Next >
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • P. Simmons's Avatar

    P. Simmons


    Satisfied Customers:

    16 yrs. of experience including criminal law.
  • Nate's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 10 years of criminal defense practice.
  • LawTalk's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    30 years legal experience
  • Marsha411JD's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed attorney with 29 yrs. exp. in criminal law
  • RobertJDFL's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
  • AttorneyTom's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:


Related Criminal Law Questions