Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

Will the Texas Department of Insurance deny me my claims adjuster

Will the Texas Department of Insurance deny me my claims adjuster license if I have a deferred adjudicated/dismissed misdemeanor? It was alcohol sale to a minor in the state if Texas.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 11 months ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you with this question.

You will have to disclose your deferred adjudication to the Texas Department of Insurance when you fill out the application. But you will not be disqualified right out of the box for having had a criminal offense deferred. Determinations will be made on a case-by-case basis.

Here's what the application states:

If you answered “Yes” to any of questions 7a–d, [questions on whether or not you've had criminal convictions] you must submit original certified copies of the charging document, indictment, information, or any other charging document, judgment of conviction, and/or deferred adjudication order, probation order, order terminating probation, community supervision and/or parole certificate for each and every crime or offense. If the court states they no longer have the records, please have the court provide us with a letter on their letterhead stating that fact. If you were arrested only and not prosecuted, please provide a records search from the appropriate jurisdiction indicating a final disposition. You must submit a statement describing the circumstances leading to the offense(s). You must include your age at the time(s) of the offense(s).You may provide letters of recommendations from any persons in contact with you that are aware of your criminal past.

So, they do have the discretion to deny you, or for that matter, anyone else, a license. but if you package yourself well, with a deferral that is alcohol rather than theft-related, you can still get your license.
Experience: Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.