How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 16558
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son is 21 years old, charged with posession of CDS methamphetamine,

This answer was rated:

My son is 21 years old, charged with posession of CDS methamphetamine, also petit larceny obstructing an officer, destroying evidence in Oklahoma. He has been staying there, but no permanent address there. What options do we have?

Alex J. Esq. :

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to help you.

Alex J. Esq. :

Are you online with me?

Alex J. Esq. :

Welcome to

Alex J. Esq. :

I am very sorry to hear about your son's unfortunate situation.

Alex J. Esq. :

Do you know it any of the charges are felonies?

Customer: Yes posession charge is felony
Alex J. Esq. :

Well this is a very serious situation.

Alex J. Esq. :

When was your son arrested?

Customer: Sept 7
Alex J. Esq. :

Has he been in jail since then and what is the amount of the bond?

Customer: Bond was 30,000 girlfriend bonded him out with a local bondsman. They could not pay, and he was returned to custody on 9/30
Alex J. Esq. :

Does your son have any prior criminal history?

Alex J. Esq. :

Does you son have any prior criminal history?

Customer: DUI in 2010 in Missouri but was expunged. Paraphernalia charge in 2011, 2 weeks in county jail
Alex J. Esq. :

Was he also charged with possession of CDS with intent to distribute or just felony possession?

Customer: Posession only
Alex J. Esq. :

Well, Oklahoma has some of the nation's toughest laws when it comes to drugs.

Alex J. Esq. :

Unfortunately, if convicted your son would fact a minimum of 2 years in prison and a maximum of 10 years in prison.

Customer: Oh no!
Alex J. Esq. :

The only think that you could do at this point to help him, is to bond him our and to hire a private experienced local criminal defense attorney to fight for your son's freedom in this criminal case.

Alex J. Esq. :

I am sorry to give you this bad news, but the law is actually very clear on penalties for this specific felony drug offense.

Customer: Why bond out?
Alex J. Esq. :

Well, jail is generally not the best place to be in.

Alex J. Esq. :

Also, it would be easier for your son's local criminal defense attorney to consult with your son, if your son is out of jail.

Alex J. Esq. :

Does it make sense?

Customer: Is there any chance of drug rehab vs or at the same time as jail time
Alex J. Esq. :

It is possible, but it would be up to the local criminal defense attorney to negotiate a plea deal which might allow your son to plead to a reduced charge and hopefully to avoid prison time.

Customer: Would a public defender be useless?
Alex J. Esq. :

However, the fact that your son has prior conviction would make the job harder.

Alex J. Esq. :

Public Defenders are good lawyers, but unfortunately they are severely overworked and underpaid.

Alex J. Esq. :

And your son's situation would require a lot of work and attention.

Alex J. Esq. :

Does this make sense?

Customer: Yes, thank you
Alex J. Esq. :

Do you have any related follow up questions for me at this time?

Customer: No thank you
Alex J. Esq. :

I wish you the best of luck.

Please click on the "Excellent Service" feedback, so I can receive credit for my answer.

Bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, but are not required

Alex J. Esq. and 4 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you