RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.

My daughter got into a fight with her then boyfriend over him

Customer Question

My daughter got into a fight with her then boyfriend over him babysitting their three month old son so she could go back to work, when he refused the argument elevated to a fight and she threatened him and broke the window on his car in front of her apartment. She was arrested and spent two days in jail. I bonded her out so she could get her newborn from friends. The charges were criminal treaspassing, terroristic threat and acts, and false imprisonment (making him babysit). All the charges were later dropped after participating in a anger management/domestic violence class, however she was told that she has to wait two years before she can have this removed from her records. The terroristic threat, although dismissed, is preventing her from being allowed at our home on an military installation. Is there anything that can be done to have her record cleared. Any information regarding this matter would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

Unfortunately, there isn't anything that can be done because the way the law is written in Georgia, an expungement, or what they call a "record restriction", requires that a person wait two years following resolution of a misdemeanor (the waiting period is longer for felonies and other serious felonies or sex crimes).