Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

Direct care givers are required by an employers policy to

Customer Question

Direct care givers are required by an employer's policy to follow a violent patient in close enough proximity to prevents attacks on other patients. The violent patient may become spontaneously enraged and attack with grabs, hand strikes, kick, and thrown objects. The attacker is very strong and the behavior is chronic. The violent patient continously walks about the active, and maximally populated house freely. In addition, other patients are not allowed to sit on community furniture such as couches if the violent patient chooses this seat requiring constat redirection of patients away from furniture they have a right to share. Having someone in close proximity can anger the violent patient an increase his aggression. The protective method has never been demonstrated by the employer or included in employee training. Both staff members and other patiens have already been injured by this man--this is well documented. Clearly, staff members and patients have been and are continually in danger of being attacked and injured. Does this employee's policy constitute endangerment or any other illegal or crimiinal act?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 12 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

The employer's policy does not constitute any illegal or criminal act, as there is no law that prevents an employer from having a policy that is minimally invasive to the rights of the violent patient to protect the patient and employees and other patients from the violent patient. This is a policy issue, not a criminal matter. Unfortunately, if an employee is injured following policy, it is a claim under workers compensation, as employees who work in such facilities where violent patients are housed have to assume the risk that when working with violent patients these outbursts may occur. The laws in WA forbid permanent physical restraint, which would realistically be the only way to prevent the violent outbursts, so each facility must try to craft their policy in the best way they possibly can to try to protect everyone (including the violent patient's rights).

Unfortunately, you are going to have to work on crafting some better policy with the employer and not just pointing out the flaws in this policy based on the specific needs of your facility.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as http://www.martindale.com or http://www.lexmundi.com or http://www.hg.org to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Thanks for the quick response. The other patients on the house are a part of the public, they are in danger of serious injury. They also should have the right to free run on the house and to be allowed fair access to seating and spatial independence. I don't understand why this is not public endangerment or a violation of the rights of these other vulnerable people.
Thank you for your response.

If the house is being negligent in protecting other patients, those patients can file a civil suit against the owners of the facility if they become injured through the negligence of the facility. I understand your concern here and if the facility is not taking proper measures to protect the patients the patients can sue the facility, but it is a civil matter not a criminal one.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Thank you, Paul. I cannot stand by and watch innocent people be hurt. Your legal advice has been very helpful.
Thank you very much. Remember we provide information only, not legal advice as for legal advice you need to physically sit with a local attorney.

You should not stand by to watch them get hurt, you need to work with the employer to improve the situation with solutions. Also, you can seek to report this to social services or department of health and hospitals, whoever the facility is governed by, to come in and do an inspection for any violations.