CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Experience:  10+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
9540344

Restitution

How to get a breakdown of what is being paid for in restitution payments

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good morning. What was the defendant charged with? When restitution was imposed, did the prosecutor say what it was for? Was their a hearing on the matter? Did the attorney request evidence to support the amount?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

From what they stated, the restitution payments are for court costs, victims awareness (that assisted the other party), and monies to the other party.

It seems odd that there doesn't seem to be a breakdown showing how much goes where. When you receive an invoice for anything else in life there is a breakdown.

So the questions was, "How do you get a breakdown of costs in a restitution"?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
The questions has not been answered as of yet. The answer reply was questions back to me.
When the case was closed, you should have received a disposition, which had a break down of court costs, fines, victims awareness and any restitution that was ordered, to make the other party whole. However, restitution either has to be agreed to or there needs to be a hearing held, to determine the amount. If it was agreed to, the prosecutor typically obtains receipts from the victim, to show what damages they suffered. If you just agreed to the amount, there would not necessarily be a breakdown, since you agreed to the total, which was based upon the representation of the victim and the prosecutor. Your best option at this time, is to pull a copy of the court file and look at the disposition/sentencing which was imposed, that should break everything down.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.