Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
10707909

My son was charged with attempted vehicular manslaughter in

Customer Question

My son was charged with attempted vehicular manslaughter in Missouri as well as reckless endangerment. He says his tire blew out and was on the way to work. This happened at 7 am. No injuries occurred he did not hit any other vehicles. Debris did hit another vehicle and caused damage. He was put on 1 year probation unsupervised. And was charged with a mister meaner felony in which the judge was going to give him 2 years. There were no drugs nor alcohol in his vehicle he was not drunk nor drinking. The ticket was for reckless driving. Is this charge excessive?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 12 months ago.

Hello

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to discussing this with you and providing information in this regard

Here is the law for Involuntary Manslaughter in Missouri and while your son was charged with attempted it would seem a bit excessive unless he had alcohol in his system as no one died due to his accidental blow out which should not have been held against him in my opinion.

Involuntary manslaughter, penalty.

565.024. 1. A person commits the crime of involuntary manslaughter in the
first degree if he or she:

(1) Recklessly causes the death of another person; or

(2) While in an intoxicated condition operates a motor vehicle or vessel in
this state and, when so operating, acts with criminal negligence to cause the
death of any person; or

(3) While in an intoxicated condition operates a motor vehicle or vessel in
this state, and, when so operating, acts with criminal negligence to:

(a) Cause the death of any person not a passenger in the vehicle or vessel
operated by the defendant, including the death of an individual that results
from the defendant's vehicle leaving a highway, as defined by section 301.010,
or the highway's right-of-way; or vessel leaving the water

I hope that this information is helpful. If you need further information, please just send me a reply asking for clarification. After that, I hope you will enter a positive rating so that I will be credited for assisting you. Thanks again for using this service. Your business is appreciated.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.

The charge was attempted vehicular manslaughter. Please clarify. Also can he be charged with a misdermeaner/felony. What he was told was that they didn't know if they should charge him with a misdermeaner or felony so it's a class C misdermeaner felony.

Hello

It can be charged as a misdemeanor or a felony as it is what is called a "wobbler"

Involuntary manslaughter is a class D felony. And what I was saying is he was charged with Attempted, because no one died - but the charge is only good if he had any alcohol in his body since no one died. And that is why it is an attempted vehicular manslaughter - If you read the first part of the law.

Let me know if this is not clear. I suggest it is a huge stretch for the circumstances that you describe and perhaps you should contact the District Attorney and find out what the facts of this matter are