Law Pro, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  20 years trial experience in defense of criminal cases

my son has three dui convections in less than 10 years He lives

my son has three dui convections in less than 10 years He lives in Pa. He is a kidney transplant patient and his kidney is showing signs of failure. He pleaded guilty and all he is asking for is that he be incarcerated in a facility where he can get the proper care for his condition. My fear is that if he is placed in a state jail the medical care he would receive is
at best emergency care and it could be to late to save the kidney and or my son. The guards or doctors in a prison are not trained for this type of circumstance.

So, my question is, can a judge use his or her discretion to place a person to a facility where he special needs can be met. In addition, what are the chances a judge would be likely to give the medical condition special consideration?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Pro replied 9 months ago.
Hi! My name is XXXXX XXXXX X'll be the attorney assisting you.

I practice in the metro Pgh area.

Because of your son's health issues - they will have to incarcerate him in a facility that would be able to provide for his illness.

The minimum for the conviction of a 3rd DUI is 10 days jail to two years.

Too, the judge could sentence him to house arrest given his medical problems. This program allows the driver to remain home during the sentence and continue working. The driver is restricted to the home during the sentence.

But it's up to the judge in your case.

You asked - what are the chances a judge would be likely to give the medical condition special consideration?

Great - seriously very great. The judge does not want to burden the prison/jail system with a medical issue of this gravity.

IMO - the judge will sentence him to house arrest.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer.. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

If you have any questions, about this or anything else, please ask for me, Law Pro, directly in the question and I will try to assist you as best I can.

For example, you would state, "This question is for Law Pro . . . (then on with your question).

I wish you the best in the future.

Law Pro, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience: 20 years trial experience in defense of criminal cases