How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 22987
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello,Im being charged with a DUI &

Customer Question

Hello, I'm being charged with a DUI & refusal to submit to a breathalyzer test in Wisconsin. I currently have a PA license. What would be the consequences if I am able to fight off the refusal and only plead guilty to a DUI vs. pleading guilty to refusal and DUI? This is my first offense, and I also don't have any moving traffic violations on my record. Would it be beneficial to get a WI license before my court appearance? Thank you.

Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 2 years ago.
Hello Jacustomer,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a criminal lawyer.

Can you tell me if your DUI occurred in Pennsylvania or in Wisconsin?

Use the reply tab below to respond so I can find your answer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It occurred in WI

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 2 years ago.
Hi Peter,

If you have a refusal you will lose your driving privileges automatically for a year, and that year would be on top of the 6-month suspension period the judge imposes for the DUI. Additionally, if you have a refusal, you cannot be eligible for a hardship license in Illinois.

So it pays to try to fight the refusal. As they are very hard to win, don't try it without a lawyer.

Yes, before you are convicted of the DUI, it's best to get a Wisconsin license if you can. However, if your driving privileges have already been revoked because of the refusal, then you will find that you're ineligible for the license at this time. That's because every state gives full faith and credit to a sister state's suspension of driving privileges.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Fran, but I have a PA license, DUI occurred in wi where I just recently moved - I'm not associated with the state of Illinois in any way.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 2 years ago.


I was multitasking and likely confused the state with the one from the question I'd done before. I apologize and am happy that one of us is a decent proofreader.

The part about the year's suspension on top of the 6 month suspension is Wisconsin law. Under Wisconsin law, you can get an occupational license even after a refusal. It would, however, mean waiting longer to be eligible to apply for it. YOu can see this here.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.



You mentioned it would be very hard to beat refusal charges on my own. However, I suffered three fractures on my head less than a year ago and I still simply cannot blow hard enough for the test to go through. I did not refuse - 1st out of 2 breathalyzer tests they submitted me to was successful , however 2nd wasn't - I tried multiple times. I asked officers to do a blood test, but they didn't. I was cooperating, I did not refuse, I simply was not able to finish it successfully. If I bring a proof of my injury from a doctor, do you think I would be successful in arguing my case?


Thank you.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 2 years ago.

With medical documentation that you were injured and it would affect your capacity to take a breathalyzer, you would appear to have a good chance of beating the refusal.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Fran,


Above you said it would be beneficial to get a WI license, if possible... why is that so? If I don't get it, what will happen after WI DMV reports me to PA DMV?



Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 2 years ago.
Hi Peter,

Once you are convicted of a DUI in Wisconsin license Pennsylvania will suspend your PA license. So the best time to try to get a WI license is before you are convicted, if you can. If your WI driving privileges are presently suspended due to the refusal it will be too late to do that.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, but Wisconsin will also suspend my license once I'm convicted. And this brings us back to my initial question - what would be the consequences of keeping my PA license? You already told me it that suspension would be 6 + 12 months in WI, but how about PA?

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 2 years ago.
Pennsylvania would be able to treat the DUI as if it were their own if they get notified of the conviction. Because of the refusal that would be a year's suspension of your license.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Your Expert advise has provided insight on a difficult situation. Thank you so much for the prompt response. I will definitely recommend your website to my friends. Norma Pensacola, FL
< Previous | Next >
  • Your Expert advise has provided insight on a difficult situation. Thank you so much for the prompt response. I will definitely recommend your website to my friends. Norma Pensacola, FL
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL

Meet The Experts:

  • Ely


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
< Last | Next >
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • P. Simmons's Avatar

    P. Simmons


    Satisfied Customers:

    16 yrs. of experience including criminal law.
  • Nate's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 10 years of criminal defense practice.
  • LawTalk's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    30 years legal experience
  • Marsha411JD's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed attorney with 29 yrs. exp. in criminal law
  • RobertJDFL's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
  • AttorneyTom's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:


Related Criminal Law Questions