Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.

do i need to go to albany to pay for an open container on a

do i need to go to albany to pay for an open container on a sidewalk. I live 250 miles away. can i plead gultiy an send in my fine (payment) which is not listed on the ticket

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a NYS lawyer.

You can call the clerk of the court to find out if you can pay the fine. In my experience, you'll be told that you'll have to appear but that may change from jusrisdiction to jurisdiction.

If the court says you must appear, it's an inconvenience, not only because you have a 250 mile trip but also in view of the fact that this matter will likely be dismissed when you get there. If not, it certainly should be something you can dispose of on the day of your appearance. But if you don't show up, a warrant will issue against you, and you really don't want that either.

If you would rather not make the trip but are told you must appear, the only other possibility you would have would be to hire a lawyer and have him show up for you. He may be able to resolve this whole thing so that you'd never have to come to court.

You could contact the New York Bar Association's Lawyer Referral service. For around $35 they will refer you to a lawyer, and the fee includes a half hour consultation with the attorney, which you can have by telephone.

Good luck!