Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience

I have a minor child that has recieved a ticket for Disorderly

I have a minor child that has recieved a ticket for Disorderly conduct and littering.
He did not litter in view of the ticketing officer and was coercied into admitting it was him by the officer at the scene of the incident. He essentially had no lwyer present during questioning and was questioned without a parent being notified.
Now this is a minimum firn of $1000 in the state of Utah and I will be hell bent to pay this fine. He was ordered to pick up the cup and place it in the vehicle he was in and so the litter was not left on site nor was it a large ampount of garbage. Is it possible to argue the point of not having counsel present to get the court to discuss dropping this charge?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

The law does not require his parent to be present when he is being questioned, BUT the law DOES required that before the officer can question him the officer must advise him of his Miranda Rights. Any statement or confession made based on the questioning of the officer without informing the minor of their rights under Miranda would be subject to being inadmissible in court and your son's attorney would argue the statement must be suppressed or thrown out and as such without such statement from your child, there are no witnesses or evidence to show your child committed this act.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as or or to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.