Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I left the scene of an accident that I caused due to no registration

I left the scene of an accident that I caused due to no registration or insurance. I was identified by drivers license lineup I denied my particiapation to the police. Should I recontact them and confess..the case if being turned over to the DA I am 68 years old on SS and no prior record of any type of crimes
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

I am very sorry for your situation.

Should I recontact them and confess..the case if being turned over to the DA I am 68 years old on SS and no prior record of any type of crimes

This is not recommended. Whatever you state may be used against you. At this point, it is best to retain counsel. May I recommend the CA Bar referral program - here. The attorneys are vetted and qualified. You should be able to find an attorney you are confident with and whom you can trust, and who is available ASAP.

At this point, one does not have to talk to the police. By admitting guilt, it only makes the prosecutor's case easier to prosecute. If one denies the matter, the case may never be brought to the Court to begin with, or, if it is, then the prosecutor is more likely to offer a plea deal due to one's lack of criminal background.

It is not recommended to contact the authorities and instead, a defense attorney should be contacted. Many will work on a payment plan.

Please note: I aim to give you genuine information and not necessarily to tell you only what you wish to hear. Please, rate me on the quality of my information and do not punish me for my honesty. I understand that hearing things less than optimal is not easy, and I empathize.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

do you know if legal aid will take a case like this. I have no money for attorney

Friend,

Remember that if one is questioned by authorities, if one is under arrest or not, but reasonably feels that they are not free to leave, one may demand counsel appointed.

If arrested or charged, one may demand counsel appointed.

As for getting counsel ahead of time for free or at low cost, I can recommend three resources. First, here is a list of all pro bono work in the state...

http://www.abanet.org/legalservices/probono/directory/california.html

…and another list:

http://www.lawhelp.org

Finally, you may call your local law school and see if they have a legal clinic place available. The legal clinic is a free service the school(s) provide to the community. While they are often overbooked, they have openings sometimes. Here is the list law schools in your state:

http://www.hg.org/law-schools-california.asp

Again, good luck.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE and submit your rating when we are finished.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello again thank you for your advice. I am having a nervous breakdown at this point...I was scared and knew better than to leave the scene...just panicked. afraid now they will come and arrest me with no warning. thank you again. do you have any idea what happens after the DA gets the case

Friend,

First of all, please relax and do not assume anything. Simply call to retain an attorney for worst case scenario.

Once the prosecutor gets the case, they decide whether or not to prosecute. If yes, then a warrant may be issued and YES, the Defendant may be picked up, but can then bond out and await a court date.

If no, then the matter is dropped.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ely I just received letter that the police have a witness that id'd me by my drivers license

Friend,

Then at this point, I would retain counsel because honestly, this may lead to a criminal matter.

Do not panic. Simply do what must be done and one step at a time.