Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor

My son has to go to court on Friday for no seat belt, open

My son has to go to court on Friday for no seat belt, open container and marijuana (misdemnor). He can't get a public defender as he said in court that he would talk to a lawyer. He meant public defender but they said he said lawyer so they won't represent him. How should he plead? He is 22 and in college. All offenses were misdemeanors.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Alex J. Esq. :

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to help you.

Alex J. Esq. :

Are you online with me?

Customer:

Yes I am

Alex J. Esq. :

Welcome to JustAnswer.com

Customer:

Thanks

Alex J. Esq. :

I am very sorry about this unfortunate situation.

Alex J. Esq. :

Can you please tell me if your son has any assets of financial means to hire a private attorney?

Customer:

He has no money. He is a full time college student looking for a part time job but that is it.

Alex J. Esq. :

Well, if your son doesn't have any assets or income, he can still apply for the free service by public defender.

Alex J. Esq. :

Did he do that yet?

Customer:

You would think so. He called them today and they said because he said to the judge that he would talk to an attorney they said they couldn't help him.

Alex J. Esq. :

Is he doesn't have the means of hiring a private lawyer, he can still apply, that is his right, as he is facing jail if convicted.

Alex J. Esq. :

Also, what type of class was he sent to?

Customer:

He was sent to a DUI type class. He had an attitude and they kicked him out.

Alex J. Esq. :

That is strange, generally defendants do not get sent to any classes, unless they plead guilty or convicted.

Customer:

He plead not guilty but they said if he did the class all would be over. He screwed up and he knows it. Don't know what to do from here. Should he plead no contest and see if they will give him community service or what?

Alex J. Esq. :

NO

Alex J. Esq. :

It is never a good idea to plead guilty or no contest.

Alex J. Esq. :

No contest, is the same as guilty plea

Alex J. Esq. :

it is a criminal conviction.

Alex J. Esq. :

If your son i convicted of a drug crime, not only the drug conviction will follow him for the rest of his life, but also he would not be eligible for any type of financial aid from the government.

Alex J. Esq. :

Does this make sense?

Customer:

Yes. So he should plead not guilty and see if he can get a public defender?

Alex J. Esq. :

Yes, generally that is the best thing to do in criminal case.

Alex J. Esq. :

Your son is entitled to a public defender, as long as, he does not have the financial means to hire a private lawyer.

Customer:

Ok. That sounds like a plan. Thank you so much. Hopefully this can all be resolved as money is tight and this isn't something we need. Needless to say ... my son learned his leason ... do what they say and be done with it.

Alex J. Esq. :

I wish you the best of luck.

Please click on the "Excellent Service" feedback, so I can receive credit for my answer.

Bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, but are not required

Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience: Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor