Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor
26296561

I have a female stalker in one state while I live in the other.

I have a female stalker in one state while I live in the other. She is relentless with emails and voice mails and "anonymous" calls to every female I know and it is starting to make my family as well as me nervous. I have been told since I am male, the police probably wont do anyhting but this has gone on for three years and it is worse than ever. What can I do?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Alex J. Esq. :

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to help you.

Alex J. Esq. :

Are you online with me?

Customer:

yes

Alex J. Esq. :

Welcome to JustAnswer.com

Alex J. Esq. :

I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

Customer:

Not as sorry as I am. This situation is borderline crazy

Alex J. Esq. :

Can you please describe the content and nature of the messages that this female is sending and also what is your relationship with this female?

Customer:

I was formerly friends with both her husband and her. They own a local restaurant I used to frequent. I stopped a domestic dispute in their establishment one night between them and she has not left me alone since. Has an imaginary relationship with me. Thinks I ate at the place to see her....was really just friends with her husband. She sends non-stop texts about life and what a bad person I am because I wont be friends with her or answer her calls....leaves voicemails rambling about it all the time like she is drunk....proceeds to call ANY female she thinks I may have a connection with, friend or relationship, and makes up ridiculous lies about where I am am what I am doing. Called a banker friend of mine today.

Customer:

All my female friends are getting worried and my girlfriend is starting to feel terrorized

Alex J. Esq. :

Is this woman located in a different state?

Customer:

i do as well....i have saved all texts and voicemails and told her to stop numerous times....have been told by police friends that nothing will really be done if i file charges

Customer:

yes....she is in Indiana where I used to live. I split time between NC and Florda now.....baseball, so I travel all over

Customer:

she is relentless and I dont want a Jody Arias thing here

Alex J. Esq. :

Are you a professional baseball player or just work for the baseball industry?

Customer:

I was. I coach and consult now

Alex J. Esq. :

Did this woman ever made any type of threats against you or any third party related to you?

Customer:

Not that I know of.....always intefering with their work and calling their jobs......my girlfriend is scared because she thinks she is crazy. She wont stop texting and calling.....begs me to be friends then goes bi-polar and tells me i am the devil

Customer:

dont feel safe and my GF has two kids and is a very successful bussinesswoman in banking industry....to call her office is not good

Alex J. Esq. :

Absolutely.

Customer:

she contacts me at all times of night....even when I am out of the country....stalks my linkedIn page every week.

Alex J. Esq. :

I agree. This is actually criminal interstate stalking.

Alex J. Esq. :

Here is what generally has to be done in a case similar to the one you have.

Alex J. Esq. :

Local lawyer need to be hired to draft a cease and desist notice to this woman to stop any and all communications with you or anyone related to you.

Customer:

Local as in her state or mine?

Alex J. Esq. :

In her state

Customer:

ok

Alex J. Esq. :

The cease and desist notice would also warn this woman of criminal and civil consequences if she continues.

Customer:

I have a local attorney there

Alex J. Esq. :

Such notice should be served on her by person "in hand" service by sheriff or a process server

Customer:

OK. To serve it at her place of business might either slow her down or really send her over the cliff

Alex J. Esq. :

If she continues, then your attorney would have to pursue criminal charges and a petition for a restraining order.

Alex J. Esq. :

The fact that you are a man and she is a woman, has no legal significance when it comes to this type of issues.

Alex J. Esq. :

Also, you cannot live being harassed and stalked and having this woman interfering with your life...

Alex J. Esq. :

So, I don't think that worrying about how she would react to being served, should stop someone in your situation from stopping this craziness...

Alex J. Esq. :

Does this make sense?

Customer:

It does. I was thinking that the restraining order might not be enforced so much due to the fact that I am a large male and she is directly opposite....friends have said that police wouldnt take it too seriously....i would think they would.

Alex J. Esq. :

It is not true!

Alex J. Esq. :

A restraining order is a court order and police has to enforce it under the law and also very small people when armed with a gun or another weapon have been known to cause quiet a lot of damage...

Alex J. Esq. :

so that argument wouldn't work...

Customer:

Good to know.....it was some DOJ friends I had that told me that....prolly messing with me I will have a letter drawn and delivered to her in person by sheriff.

Alex J. Esq. :

Also, if she is stalking you from a different state, the FBI can be involved, as interstate / cyber stalking is a federal felony!

Customer:

i just want to be able to stop the anonymous phone call crap more than anyhting

Customer:

how can I get the fed charges?

Customer:

she have to violate the cease and desist?

Alex J. Esq. :

Yes, she would first have to violate the cease and desist

Alex J. Esq. :

Also, it would be a good idea to get a restraining order on her in place first, before approaching the FBI, as they are serious about the cases that decide to investigate and you would need some solid evidence to show the cyberstalking.

Customer:

OK. So i need to get the letter to her then if she violates, press charges or have restraining order/maybe get Feds involved?

Customer:

good point

Alex J. Esq. :

correct.

Alex J. Esq. :

That would be a game plan.

Customer:

OK then. Thanks. I am on it....phone call in action as I type

Alex J. Esq. :

Also, every instance of harassment / unwanted contact should be documented carefully, for the future legal action.

Alex J. Esq. :

Great

Customer:

I am documentation King!

Alex J. Esq. :

This woman might simply need some mental health treatment, but it should not effect your life!

Customer:

i even snapshot my linkedIn page when she stalks it

Alex J. Esq. :

great

Alex J. Esq. :

that is what attorneys and law enforcement love to see, to help them do their job.

Customer:

she is certifiable....her husband always told me that....ex husband now

Alex J. Esq. :

right

Customer:

thanks for the assistance....has been a huge help

Alex J. Esq. :

And you cannot take a chance on this one, as her mental condition can get worst and she can end up doing something physical

Alex J. Esq. :

I am sorry you had to go through this, but hopefully this crazy lady will be stopped soon!

Alex J. Esq. :

I wish you the best of luck.

Please click on the "Excellent Service" feedback, so I can receive credit for my answer.

Bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, but are not required

Customer:

That is what I am afraid of. She does not "get it" and is totally off the reservation...already clicked on excellent! I appreciate the help

Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience: Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor